The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music and Memory Org--"Alive Inside"-great program !
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2017 11:31 am    

Recently watched "Alive Inside" on Netflix streaming and was totally impressed. I then went to musicandmemory.org and went thru their orientation and signed up to be a volunteer at a local nursing home, who had bought into the program. I have for years played sing-a-longs at nursing homes here in Ok and in Arizona and that is great, but this is different. You are working on making personal playlists for an ipod that these people suffering from various mental problems (dementia, alzheimers, etc) can use when needed. The facility buys training for their empolyees to work with the patients giving them their ipods. This organization has been around since 2012 and is doing a real service to those people...if you arent familiar with it, I encourage you watch "Alive Inside" and go from there. As we all know, there is real power in music ! There are several different ways a person can volunteer...I am enjoying the interview process and putting music on ipod that each person likes...very interesting.
I apologize if this topic has been brought up before.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 7:46 am    

I have been intimately involved in a company named CoroHealth (http://corohealth.com)which was founded in 2008 and provides music programs designed by music therapists and doctors, for people that have Alzheimers. The products that we provide wakes the patient up, has soothing and calming programs, can bring them down and put them to sleep. The stories of the benefits are far too many to list here. If you have anyone with that disease, please do them a favor and create some music programs for them. These programs can be very beneficial to them. It is amazing how well it works if they are created professionally and for that individual. Go to the website for more info. Thanks

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 8:25 am    

Thanks for the response. It sounds like a similar program to the one I am involved with. I do believe in the power of music for all kinds of healing !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp