The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What kind of caliper do you use for measuring string gauges
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 9:31 am    

I bought a digital caliper at Lowes and couldnt get it to work and took it to the local music store, and they couldnt either. What brand caliper would you recommend I order...none of the local stores seem to have anything.
Thanks in advance...wasnt sure where to post this, but hey, I was trying to measure the gauges of strings on my new Fender Custom T8, if that counts Smile

would this work ?
https://www.amazon.com/VXB-Bearing-Electronic-Digital-Measuring/dp/B0045DTPJA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499966729&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=VXB+6+Inch+Lcd+Digital+Vernier+Caliper%2Fmicrometer+Guage+150
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 9:52 am    

That'll work. That's what I use. For wound strings, just be sure you're on top of the windings.

Accurate down to 0.001. Close enough. Good as any mic in the same category.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 13 Jul 2017 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 9:52 am    

That should work but I still use an old dial caliper.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 10:24 am    

Thanks guys, I ordered that one.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 8:37 pm    

I use a "micrometer" it's much more consistent.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 12:05 am    

Dom Franco wrote:
I use a "micrometer" it's much more consistent.

I've been a machinist for 50 years and DOM is right on! In my book a micrometer is the best. I will say the calipers that Larry posted the link to work very well and are very reasonable. We used to get them once in a while for free where I work since we order a lot of bearings. The calipers were used pretty hard by everyone and held up very well. Measuring strings, I'm sure they will out last the buyer.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 6:01 am    

The OP's link is to a micrometer very much like the one I've been using for many years now, from Stew-Mac:

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Calipers/Luthiers_Digital_Caliper.html

Mine is a much older model, but it works well. It has a special tip for measuring fretwire, etc.

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 10:57 am    

Best for me is the micrometer (veneer or digital). They are both very accurate, IF you DO NOT over tighten them. Use the slip clutch on the end. ALSO, make sure that you adjust the 'zero' point. Keep the faces of the measuring surfaces clean (no rust, corrosion, or anything visible that could affect the accuracy by + or - .0005.

Thanx,
Jim

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 6:40 pm    

I still use a 1 inch "mike" ! Lots of stuff left over from my tool maker days...

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 8:01 pm    

A Micrometer, with its much larger polished perfectly flat measuring surfaces will always be more accurate than the thin knife edges of a pair of calipers. (more contact area)

But that being said, the calipers are plenty good enough for string gauges with a .001 +/- tolerance. It's not rocket Science.
I have a background in Aerospace, and Precision Turbine Engine mechanical Inspection.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 6:11 am    

Dom Franco wrote:
A Micrometer, with its much larger polished perfectly flat measuring surfaces will always be more accurate than the thin knife edges of a pair of calipers. (more contact area)

If one is careful with the blades of the calipers, you can get reasonably accurate results. Thanks for pointing that out.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 9:43 pm    

I use a Standard 0.0"- 1.0" Micrometer. It never occurred to me to use any thing else.