The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can Anyone Help
John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 10:33 am    

This one is too much for me

This is as close as I can get to what Mike Johnson is playing.

Need the help of a Professional here!

Can anyone put me out of my frustrations.

Such wonderful playing

Here is the lick at 1 minute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P03MjkUAxos

Thanks for any help.

J.R.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 6:30 am    

Sounds to me like he walks up to V chord(F# in B) on 9th fret,8th fret A+B with 4th string lowered, fingering 5431 then slide to 7th fret. Mike often uses variations on this sometimes raising 1st string as he resolves. That's my take,what's yours? JS

John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 11:02 am     Exactly What I Have Been Saying

John

I have been saying recently to lots of folks, the Forum is full of players who have lots of Knowledge and are willing to share, for free!

I have been offering my humble tab free, to those who ask for it and have been rewarded and proven right, by help from John Swain here.

Thanks John

J.R.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 4:10 pm    

Ok, JR and John, I actually moved my steel into the same room as my computer for this (I really need to get a laptop - I usually like to work from CD's and when it's something on youtube I have to keep the notes I hear on my PC in my head and then run across the hall to my steel!). With an extra note here or there and based on your work, try this:

John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 10:41 pm     Even more I know I am right

Jeff

Thanks once again for your help.
It's folks like you on the Forum, that illustrates, the spirit of the Forum. I know I am right about that at least.

Hey! you know how to fly Helicopters. Get a Drone and use it to do the leg work, between The PC and The PSG.

Nah, better still, get a 10.1" tablet.

No, not a pill, an android Tablet Smile

J.R.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 5:32 am    

Great playing by Mike, as always !! I love watching these classic tunes sung my great singers like John, even if I cant play them exactly like Mike, its fun to watch and then try to duplicate. Thanks for posting that video, now back to the steel for more work ! Smile This forum is the best !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 11:07 am    

Hey Larry
I don't play quite like Mike either Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick