The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Open letter to Tommy Dodd
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 9:45 am    

Hey Tommy, I was grocery shopping the other day, while wearing the "I steel" T-shirt I got from you, and a guy approached me and said "Do you play the steel? I love the steel."

I guess it pays to advertise.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 11:54 am    

I have three of Tommy's T shirts and I get a lot of comments on them also.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 4:56 pm    

Mike, you've got cajones. I only wear those shirts to conventions in this TSA environment...

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 5:06 am    

8 years ago I was in Montreal Canada, I was wearing my Sho-Bud t-shirt. This guy started talking to me, he loved the pedal steel guitar, he used to play in a country band that had pedal steel and he especially liked Tom Brumley. It's nice to meet people that way.

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 12:46 pm    

I live just north of Newark, NJ and all I get are blank stares when I wear mine.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 1:58 pm    

When I wear my T-shirt with a pedal steel image on the back, people ask me what that thing is crawling up my back. I think it's a shirt from John Hughey....

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 6:15 pm    

Joe Goldmark wrote:
Mike, you've got cajones. I only wear those shirts to conventions in this TSA environment...

Ha! Joe, am I just half-guilty if I only steel at night?

Mike, if you can you share a link to Tommy's merchandise, I've got to get more shirts. Opportunities to raise awareness are priceless.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 8:16 pm    

Dan Robinson wrote:

Mike, if you can you share a link to Tommy's merchandise, I've got to get more shirts. Opportunities to raise awareness are priceless.

http://tommydodd.com/

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2017 6:21 pm    

Thanks, Mike. Shared that with the Missus, could be a surprise under the Hanukkah bush... If I'm good. Razz

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 5:53 am    

Not one of Tommy's t-shirts but...

Many years ago I was on tour with a show and found myself not too far from York, PA at the same time as the TCA were holding one of their bi-annual model train shows. These show are the biggest in the trade and, being seriously addicted to 0-scale engines, I made a detour to the show.

I was nosing around the Lionel display when a fairly lanky and long-haired individual approached me saying:

"Nice Sho-Bud!"

For a second I was mystified but realized that I was, by sheer chance, wearing that splendid 'Got Steel?' t-shirt that Tommy White marketed at one time.

The eagle-eyed train buff turned out to be Neil Young. We had a nice chat - mostly about trains!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 3:33 pm    

Roger, that's a great story.

A meeting of two kindred souls, who share interests in steel-guitar and 0-scale engines. What are the chances of that?

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 12:39 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Not one of Tommy's t-shirts but...

Many years ago I was on tour with a show and found myself not too far from York, PA at the same time as the TCA were holding one of their bi-annual model train shows. These show are the biggest in the trade and, being seriously addicted to 0-scale engines, I made a detour to the show.

I was nosing around the Lionel display when a fairly lanky and long-haired individual approached me saying:

"Nice Sho-Bud!"

For a second I was mystified but realized that I was, by sheer chance, wearing that splendid 'Got Steel?' t-shirt that Tommy White marketed at one time.

The eagle-eyed train buff turned out to be Neil Young. We had a nice chat - mostly about trains!

Cool story, Roger! I thought the kicker was going to be the guy meant "Nice show, buddy!" with no connection to steel guitars. I like the actual version better!

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 2:10 pm    

Not Tommy Dodd related, but, a few years ago I saw a comment on another forum about steel guitars. I responded and questioned the said poster about his comment about the steel guitar. He said that he played the steel and was interested in steels and Corvettes.
So, that poster was Don R brown, who, has now become a good friend of mine. He is also into trains, as am I. You never know who you'll run into or befriend because of your passions.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 7:52 pm    

John has been an excellent source of support in those times when the learning process seems overwhelming, as well as a great source of advice and encouragement! He has a point, something as simple as a T-shirt or a forum post can point out common ground where we did not know it existed. Which reminds me I need to get off my tail and send Tommy an order!

Larry Hopkins

Lubbock Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 9:32 am     T shirts

Wow, ordered a couple t shirts fromTommy on Tuesday ,and here they are Saturday mornings mail ,that's pretty good service😁And the shirts are just great,colorful,and of good quality,thanks Tommy!
LH
Piper.larry @hotmail.com
👍

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 10:22 am    

I have a couple of T shirts from Tommy my wife bought me and they are great and do get some discussion going....last week played at a outdoor ampitheatre and before starting a fellow I know asked me "so what is that you are playing?" It might take more than a T shirt Shocked