The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Young players ? Are there any ?
Richard Nelson

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:02 am    

PSG seems to have been in decline in the last few decades due to a variety of reasons and there seems to be less young people learning the instrument. Has anyone any solid statistics on this or is it just us old codgers preaching doom and gloom as usual?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChkzP48NKKSiredddt-NGEQ?view_as=public

www.myspace.com/ricknelsteel

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:55 am    

Yes, it's just us preaching doom and gloom. There are lots of young players. They just don't hang around with us very much. Lots of them lurk on here and don't see the need to participate.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 9:27 am    

I know around Sacramento there is a group of 20-30 somethings that are out gigging on pedal steel. They don't post here on the forum, too busy practicing and playing gigs I guess.

Keith Kire

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 5:48 pm     Young one here

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that it's not a dying breed! I'm a youngin' (at least I think I am lol), I'm 32. I just started playing, so I wouldn't yet consider myself a steeler just yet. I think the problem isn't a decline in the interest of the instrument, it's the decline in the quality of music coming out of Nashville, most of which doesn't feature steel. Plus, it's a rather expensive instrument to get into. I know I wouldn't have been able to start had it not been for my uncle! Just wanted to let y'all know there are people trying to keep the art alive!

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 1:23 am    

There are some young players playing steel. Jacob King who is 14 years old and plays like someone who has played for years and then there is Tobin Hess who plays extremely well. A couple young guys overseas, Matthew Jut and Stepnen Ryker play too. You can find videos of them on YouTube as well. Then you have the young guys like me at 57 years of age but I bet you are talking much younger.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 4:01 am    

A couple more young steelers come to mind. Steven Hicken, from the UK, if I recall he's 19 or so. Don't forget Jerry Roller's talented grandson, Braydon Roller.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 4:54 am    

Just yesterday a 16 year old fine young man from the Detroit area called. He has all the money saved up but is going to save a bit more first as he doesn't want to spend all his savings at once! He won't ever have any problems in life if he continues to do that.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 5:02 am    

Doug, that is doubly good to hear - glad to hear of another young steeler-to-be, and wonderful to hear of someone with a good work ethic and common sense.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 7:58 am    

Quote:
Just yesterday a 16 year old fine young man from the Detroit area called. He has all the money saved up but is going to save a bit more first as he doesn't want to spend all his savings at once! He won't ever have any problems in life if he continues to do that.

Sounds like he might be using the lottery winners approach - play gigs until the money runs out.... Laughing

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 8:34 am    

Doug Earnest wrote:
Yes, it's just us preaching doom and gloom. There are lots of young players. They just don't hang around with us very much. Lots of them lurk on here and don't see the need to participate.

Asa Brosius is a very good active player and looks very young. He joined here in 2008 and made 350 posts while I joined at approximately the same time with maybe 5000 posts. That says something.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 8:51 am    

How about 14 year old Jacob King from Dadeville, MO.?
Monster player. Very Happy

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 9:58 am    

I'm thirty-six, and I started playing when I was eighteen. I love playing at steel guitar shows and listening to other players, as well as talking about steel guitar. I listen to 80s/90s country, as well as traditional country, and I'm a fan of Hank Williams, Ray Price, and all of the legends of country music, as well as steel guitar legends like Buddy Emmons, Don Helms, Lloyd Green, and many others. I love playing the pedal steel guitar!

Last edited by Brett Day on 24 Oct 2017 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 10:28 am    

Austin Stewart was young just a few years ago. He was playing my guitar on the "Little O' Oprey" when he was 8 or so. He is still young just full grown now. Braydon is not playing right now but could be with about a week of practice. I have taught several very young people to play that did very well but they just are no longer young but still playing. You guys are right about Jacob King, he plays like a very good seasoned player. I have a young person come up to me after our Oprey shows very often asking about my guitar. I make it a point to let them sit down to it and slide the bar and usually get a really big smile. It's not dead by a long shot.
Jerry

Matthew Begay

Quantico, VA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 6:42 pm     Young Kid from New Mexico

I picked up the steel guitar at age 18 last year. Still learning a lot so I can be ready if steels make a comeback in mainstream country.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 7:28 pm    

Matthew, the steel is still very strong in Gospel music. There are still a few artists singing real country music and featuring the steel and it should be noted they are doing very well with it. Check out Alan Jackson, Daryle Singletery and Rhonda Vincent. Great steel on there recordings.
Jerry

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 8:15 pm    

Doug Earnest wrote:

Good point. They have a greater presence on Facebook, less so here.

There's a few good young steel players in the Denver area.

How young? They ALL seem young to me!

Jonathan Lam

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 5:54 pm    

I don't think there are any new players. It doesn't seem that way at least. I hope some people come and pick it up because it's really fallen a long way from the golden era of 1965.

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 6:59 pm    

lol

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 7:58 am    

If you have not checked out Jonathan Lamm's playing you should check out his NYC country band, Honeyfingers. There are several YouTuble videos. You are doing very well Johnathan! Keep up the good work.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 3:42 pm    

Dan Robinson wrote:
Good point. They have a greater presence on Facebook, less so here. !

So, PSG / Lesson 1 should be: "Quit Facebook, join the Forum". Cool

Great band, that Honeyfingers. Done their swang thang homework for sure. Mighty fine on that steel, Jonathan Lam.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 3:53 pm    

There are some up and coming young players around here.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 12:43 am    

There are only a handful of steelers in the Tampa Bay area, and we are all grouchy old geezers; no young'uns here.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 5:19 am    

Jerry Roller wrote:
Austin Stewart was young just a few years ago.
Jerry

Jerry, we ALL were young just a few years ago! Crying or Very sad

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 12:05 pm    

Don, I don't think I was!
Jerry

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 7:53 pm    

Facebook and YouTube didn't exist when I started playing. The internet was there, but if you wanted to watch how players taught techniques, licks, scales, blocking, right hand position using picks, bar techniques how to play chords, and pedal positions, you had to watch it on video or DVD, or take a steel lesson, or go to a steel show or seminar..Although I loved the steel at a young age, like I do now, because of cerebral palsy, I went through a process where I had to figure out what instrument would be right for me, and at seventeen, I got interested in playing steel, and started playing at the age of eighteen and now at thirty-five, almost thirty-six, I still love it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger