The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mickey Adams, and MSA Guitars
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 6:57 am    

I want to clear up what is bound to generate rumors, regarding my decision to abandon my Mullen sponsorship,,,
Mullen Guitars and I have had a working relationship for 12 years now. In that time I have personally expended countless hours, for the benefit of the community (for the company benefit, as a whole.) answering questions, giving advice, and supporting ALL of you that own a Mullen Steel Guitar, That is not going to change.
Although there's been an "exclusive" deal in place, I have continued to support other manufacturers when the need arose, and it has now gotten to the point where being restricted to one brand of guitar, does not fit in with my business model..
I have the utmost respect for Del, his family, and all of the people that make Mullen Guitars what it is today..
The market, and the landscape have changed over the last 12 years, and I feel a need to "keep up" with all the builders, their new models and new features. I'm sure in the future I will be repairing and or re-configuring these for the public as well...I want to know EVERYTHING i can about as many models as possible..
I no longer wish to be restricted to one brand of guitar, and I need to decide whats best for me, onstage, in my shop, and on recordings, and in my teaching seminars, which will reach Australia in October...
So when someone asks me, What is the best fit for me?..It may very well BE a Mullen guitar...Just as likely now, it could be an MSA, maybe a 20 year old LeGrande..????...THIS is why you asked me to begin with...I will never try to sell anyone something I don't think they will be completely satisfied with....You see...we are all in the same game..we want the RIGHT guitar, the RIGHT tone, and we want support from the manufacturer.but the bottom line is...I'M A MUSICIAN FIRST, and a salesman like...27th,,...
I am REALLY Impressed with all of the new innovations on the Legend XL, and the company is bending over backwards already, on my behalf..That speaks volumes to me...So those of you that feel I have abandoned them, please be assured that I have not...
There's a LOT more PSG to come..!..
Peace all..Mick
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Last edited by Mickey Adams on 11 Jul 2017 9:15 pm; edited 6 times in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:31 am    

Spoken like a True Musician!!!
That's why I love ya Mickey; as your passion for Music, always comes first.
Ricky

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:36 am    

Even though I own a Mullen, I have never cared for a "my way or the highway" ultimatum. That never sat well with me, and I left a college course and a couple of jobs over such. Best wishes always Mickey, I totally understand and support the call you made.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 8:07 am    

Mullen and MSA are both fine guitars!

The MSA does have a HUGE number of recent innovations like the LFRETS fretboard I'd love to have on my Excel guitar.

Check out the MSA Legend specs on my website and see the huge list of MSA unique features:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Msa/msa.html

My favorite features are:

Modular quick change slide in – slide out pickups

Quick clamp and release leg attachment to pedal rack

3D Fretboard milled into neck – nothing to come unglued – anti-static material in fret pools

Quick adjust pedal height from playing position - every pedal rod is the same - the height adjustment stays with the guitar - Pedal rods are all identical – no more searching for rod numbers

Pedals machined from aluminum billet and custom engraved

7 piece raised CNC MSA logo on front apron

Floating neck - the neck is firmly anchored only at one end (the changer end) while the other end has space and freedom to expand or contract inside the roller bridge. The roller bridge is not attached to the neck, but to the cabinet. The aluminum necks can expand or contract at will without resulting in detuning.

Nut roller composition is different for wound and plain strings on both necks to provide evenness of tone between them

Pretty sure the XL adds to this feature list and maintains many of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Lee Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 9:02 am     clearly said mick

Mickey , that is a very clear way to put your point, you have always been a very honest, and straight forward guy, and thats one of the things I admire about you,, truly anyone could understand your point. To all of us who know you ,We understand , Enough said,, Now to get to what I really wanted to say , How have you been ? I was worried bout you after the accident, was praying everything was alright Love you brother Keep in touch, ( by the way my mullen G2 is doing great, thanks to you. Keep up the great work............ Glad you are OK.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Lee

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 9:36 am    

Welcome to the MSA club Mickey. You may recall that you checked out my Millennium several years ago.

I have 2 Millies, and don't need another guitar, but if I had the bucks, I'd get a new Legend anyway (Blue of course.)

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 10:20 am    

Mike, i look forward to sharing pics of my new Royal Blue Legend XL with you when she arrives..!..Thanks for posting!!

Lee, my dear friend..The last time you called i was in the middle of a very bad episode..The concussion was way more severe than anyone thought in the beginning..I am relapsing almost every day still, and the only thing that will heal my bruised brain, is time..Smile
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 12:09 pm     Mickey Adams

Mickey you are truly an ambassador for steel guitar and you have and will continue to make a difference in however you choose to do it. We who know you appreciate your interest in the steel and all you do do help us. Thanks again for your commitment.........clark

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 2:43 pm    

Mickey my friend, you know I will and do support what you do and decide. You have been a great help to me in my endeavors to learn the instrument. Thanks for all you do for all of us here on the forum. Your Missouri friend, Larry

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 4:21 pm    

Mickey it's only a matter of time before your playing a Zum mate Very Happy (tongue firmly in cheek)
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 5:26 am    

Paddy, I have 2 Zums...And I love both of them...
1 is setup permanently in my bus, one is in the shop..Smile

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 7:18 am    

BTW Mickey, everybody here wishes you a speedy recovery from your injuries from your accident.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 8:30 am    

... and a new MSA.

Lee Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 10:46 am     Mickey

Mick, just glad you are Ok, , all the other things will work out, Keep up the great work, and as you know ,Prayer changes things, God Bless you buddy, As Always Lee Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 10:54 am    

Thanks Mike, and Lee..Smile

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 4:15 pm    

Bump

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 9:41 am    

Mickey, now that you have both a Legend XL with a wood neck, and a Studio Pro with aluminum, do you notice any differences between them, and if so, can you describe them to us?

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 12:07 pm    

My wife Modeling my new Legend, cause, well, she photographs much better than I Laughing Laughing Laughing ... These new MSA’s are so fine, I just couldn’t help myself.

*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 2:39 pm    

Mr Perlowin I am writing the draft outline for the first set of videos on features and tuning as we speak...
The second I'm planning is a comparison of all the pickups, which i will record first with a standard amp setting...That will be followed by the same comparison after tweaking each pickup for my own personal taste...Im hoping that will provide a datum from which to measure the contrasts in tonal response from all pickups
Then of course we will be able to ABC three of the guitars in different configurations, finish, and appointments to see if the variances can be identified as well...
Unfortunately my first D10 is still a few weeks away...i promise the forum will the first too see her..Smile

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 9:40 am     You're still Mickey

Mickey, I have enjoyed all of your video posts.... all of them. You informed me of the deal with MSA and I for one didn't think it was a big deal. I'm green as grass on the PSG, this is my first post of any kind, but one thing I know is a picker who has talent can play any brand and make it sound good. I've never seen you utter a negative thing about Mullen. Ad a matter of fact, you recommended a Mullen pre royal to me. You are still, and will always be, Mickey Adams. Post me some gospel videos brother!

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 10:53 am    

Hey Mickey
If they offer to build you a brand new steel, please don't go for Liberace's dressing table (again). Very Happy
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 10:56 am    

Mickey, any chance MSA will offer single-blade bell cranks instead or in addition to the dual-blade ones they've traditionally used? Sure cleans up the underside and makes rodding much easier and neater!

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 3:29 pm    

LMAO....That was funny!!!.....ROYAL BLUE MAPLE BABY...its has.."BOY"..written all over it...

Ill forward this to Kyle...Smile

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 5:37 am    

Mickey, as long as you are setting up base lines for comparison on different pickups, settings and such, perhaps a similar database can be established for which color sounds best. I've been told it's blue, but I've been told just as emphatically it's black and that everybody should know it. Your project might be just the thing to put this to rest! Laughing

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2017 6:33 am    

I was under the impression that it's was the MICA color..
The MSA guitars are all lacquer, so now we are testing stains?
I often wondered if any of this was true.. with that being said,
personally my guitar always sounds better to me in a dark
environment, than it does flooded in white light..who knows!!
Interesting thought..