The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Line 6 POD HD?
Dana LaFever

New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 8:07 pm    

Anyone using a line6 pod for their effects? I've used the PODxt with reasonable success but I can't seem to get what I want out of the POD-HD which is a newer unit I picked up. Just curious if any steelers are using a pod?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 2:20 am    

I use a POD X3, for effects only, no modeling. I tried the HD model and could not use my X3 "Tones" (programs) and the ones I tried in the HD just were not as good as the ones in the X3. I returned the unit.

FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 8:28 am    

I use the HD that I picked up from Tommy Dodd a few years back. Tommy programmed a about 15 programs that are real good. I still wish I could figure out how to program my own settings. Very frustrating

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 9:01 am    

Frank, are you sure its an "HD" model? From what I recall Tommy only sold the "XT" model.

I have one of Tommy's leg mounts for my X3.

Aaron Johnson

Lemoore, CA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 9:02 am    

I've got a POD HD Pro X rack model for quiet practice with headphones at home. It's quiet, versatile and gives me all the tone I could ask for.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 1:19 pm    

I am using a Line 6 POD XT Pro in my rack to push my Nashville 1000. The modeling and effects can change your sound with a push of a button. It's actually too complicated for me but I can switch between a few presets and I love it.

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 9:53 am    

Hi Dana,

I have used the HD500X on the road since March, with really good results. It replaced 3 amps, 1 rack case, and 1 pedalboard. I use an AC-15 model for my Overdriven Lap Steel stuff (with my Asher, or Fender Wayne Kramer Strat), and a Twin head model into a Mesa Boogie 4x12 cabinet for my Pedal Steel.

I use the -10dB pad. Without it, my pedal steel hits the front end of all of the amp sims too hard. It's a critical part of getting it to work well with Pedal Steel, in my opinion.

I have been using more real Fender Twin Reverbs and Deluxe Reverbs, so it helped me in jumping toward the modeled Twin Reverb.

I used the XT and XT Pro with Jo Dee from 2004-2011, and the HD is a lot better. Feels more real.

That's my $0.02,

David Spires

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 9:24 pm    

David I am curious to know if with the HD500X are you switching between the strat and the steel on the same show, and if so are you using an a/b switch or using the on-board aux in? Also are you using the effects on the HD500X as well?

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 9:38 pm    

Aux in for the Lap Steel/ Strat. When I change patches, it changes the active input. Yes, all effects are from the Pod.

Pretty pleased with it!

David Spires

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2017 11:42 am     Re: Line 6 POD HD?

Dana LaFever wrote:
Anyone using a line6 pod for their effects? I've used the PODxt with reasonable success but I can't seem to get what I want out of the POD-HD which is a newer unit I picked up. Just curious if any steelers are using a pod?

Hi Dana you have a very good modeling machine there, I've been using the same desktop for about 2or 3 years and it is a great tool in a box , I can use it anywhere with new and old country, with blues or rock , even the Ave Maria , it's also capable of sending your music to a computer, I have no knowledge for that ...

What are you looking to achieve with it ? I can help you out if you haven't already given up, let us know what you need

Craig

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 8:18 pm    

The original first issue POD is the more analog of the lot.

I use this model for recording and I've found that it works well, has flexibility but also enjoys having a pre amp of good quality in front of it if you have something like that. The frequency response becomes more evident when you use a good pre-amp before the POD so it's not like the POD has poor sonics, it just works with what it's fed. Then the POD acts like an amp with amp modeling, channel volume, drive and output levels besides bass, mid, trebel controls. There is the "A.I.R." switch too on the output jacks. The FX are limited by today's standards but with tap tempo you have something at least and can adjust the "effect tweak" and reverb controls.

Tweaking anything is key and many times getting the gear to work with other pieces needs exploring.

I find the POD to not be as lame as others might've reported. When you have amp models and then controls over gain and eq it just takes some knob moving in the gain and eq department to get the different amp model settings to come to life. You have to use your ears and know which knob you are moving and what it does basically and how it will effect the other controls. Increasing gain for example raises all the frequencies, then using your ear to reduce or add eq to what you want to hear.

As Obi-Wan said..use the force Luke...