The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eminence Paul Franklin PF-350 Speaker
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 1:46 pm    

OK guys, for those of you that have been wondering about this speaker. I replaced my stock speaker in my NV-112 with one of the PF-350 Signature speakers. Here is the results to my ears. It IS more even across the entire spectrum of strings, the higher strings are warmers and the bass strings are cleaner and more pronounced just like Mr. Franklin has said in the promo. I did not change any settings on the amp and went straight to the job. I probably had 10 compliments as to the tone being cleaner and warmer as a whole. My only complaint would be that is heavier by a few pounds. I am using a Mullen Pre RP, SD-10 with a BL-705 pickup and Hilton volume pedal. I believe it is an improvement and would not hesitate to recommend it. As always, mileage may vary. I just thought inquiring minds might want to know.
RC

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 4:08 pm    

Thanks for posting!

Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 4:25 pm    

I installed the double T in my NV 112 I like it more every time I play, it is the best investment I have ever made, on the output scope the double T and PF 350 are almost identical, if you have a NV 112 spend $209 for either of the speakers and you WILL be HAPPY.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 4:28 pm    

Roy,
I thought the NV 112 was 4 ohm?
Isn't the PF 350 8ohm?

Ron

Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 5:01 pm    

My NV112 is about 6 or 8 years old, I don't know what ohm's it is but I can tell you this I had to turn my power down on the amp.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 5:50 pm    

Yes , the NV 112 is a 4 ohm, but I put an 8 ohm JBL E120 in mine, and it sounded fantastic. Every bit as loud, and clean. I know, it was a mismatch, but it worked just fine and sounded outstanding. Heavy, but worth it. Same experience with an single 15" 8 ohm in a twin. No problem. Great sound.

Some of you with more electrical knowledge might chime in and suggest its not a good idea, and Id like to hear from you. I wont be offended if you suggest otherwise, and dont want to influence anyone with bad advice.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 8:20 pm    

I was really impressed with tone on the amp and guitar.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 3:52 pm    

I have the Eminence PS-12C in my Nashville 112, do you think I would get a big difference in the tone if I go to the Paul Franklin speaker? I've been thinking on it.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 5:12 pm    

Jim Morris wrote:
I have the Eminence PS-12C in my Nashville 112, do you think I would get a big difference in the tone if I go to the Paul Franklin speaker? I've been thinking on it.

Jim, you will get a massive tone difference with my speaker, or Paul's speaker. They are VERY similar in response. His is a traditional magnet and mine is a NEO. Mine will be significantly lighter.

-t

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 7:08 pm    

Thanks travis. I'm just starting so I guess no matter what I'm playing through, my technique needs work but still, I'm looking forward...learning some things so I want the best tone u can get. The eminence I have now just doesn't have that brightness I kike. EQ is set same as tommy white settings on the Nashville 112

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 7:12 pm    

Jim Morris wrote:
Thanks travis. I'm just starting so I guess no matter what I'm playing through, my technique needs work but still, I'm looking forward...learning some things so I want the best tone u can get. The eminence I have now just doesn't have that brightness I kike. EQ is set same as tommy white settings on the Nashville 112

Jim, I would humbly suggest that you set your amp to what sounds good to you. Don't worry about how Tommy White, or me, or anyone else sets their amp. Unless you have Tommy's hands, his guitar, his strings, his picks, his cables, his volume pedal, etc...it's not gonna sound the same. You can sound great with your own settings. Smile

-t

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 7:15 pm    

Yeah true, this is gow it was set when u got it. I guess I'm more xoncentrating on learning to play. I was just letting yall know gow my EQ is set...and I realize different guitars will sound different with yhe same swttings. But if you do know where I can get Tommy's hands, or a swt like yhem, let me know....but I'll need his knowledge to go with it!

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 7:16 pm    

The advice I was given by my private teacher is listen to as many players as you can, then play like you. Guess that extends to how you set your equipment too!

Last edited by Jim Morris on 16 Aug 2017 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2017 7:17 pm    

Jim Morris wrote:
Yhe advice I was given by my private teacher is listen to as many players as you can, then play like you. Guess that extends to gow you set your equipment too!

👍🏻

-t

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2017 7:48 am    

Double T. Just watched your promo and I gotta say, I love the bite your speaker offers....choices choices!!!! BTW, not that you need approval, but I love your style of playing!!

Jerry Meek

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 9:21 am     PF350 speaker

Does anyone know if the pf 350 speaker come in 4ohm instead of 8 ohm. Jerry

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 9:36 am    

I dont.think so, but not.positive