The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Cool Winnie Winston Find
Michael Harrington

Ann Arbor
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 12:04 pm    

I recently bought a copy of Winnie Winston's "STEEL WOOL" recording which had arrived at my doorstep today. Upon opening, I discovered a cool print out of some TAB and picture of Winnie's copedent, as well as some interesting (and humorous!) liner notes on the other side.

Sorry about the quality of the photo.. hopefully you'll still be able to enjoy!

- Michael

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 12:11 pm    

how is the album?
I don't think I've ever heard Winnie's playing

Michael Harrington

Ann Arbor
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 12:39 pm    

Scott-

There are some unique instruments featured on the recording: zither, flute, pennywhistle, vibes, sax, clarinet, and northumbrian small-pipes. To my ears, the music shares common ground with traditional Irish music, as well as early swing. Definitely not as much of a straight ahead country steel record (in my opinion). However, a cool and vibey record for sure!

-Michael

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 2:38 pm    

Winnie's close collaborator on that album is Ken Bloom, a multi-instrumentalist who's been a dear friend to me since I was 14 and Ken was 15. Perlowin was friends with him as well back in the Los Angeles days. A great and versatile musicians who's been living in the mountains of NC for decades.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 6:20 pm    

I have that album and it's good. Winnie was good player.

Tony

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 6:40 pm    

I had the album back in the day. Good playing on an eclectic mix of folk, world, Irish, bluegrass, and lot of unusual instruments. I must admit that it wasn't my favorite steel record back in the 70s-80s. I was trying to learn traditional Country steel back then and this record was not that. I think I'd appreciate it more today.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 7:28 pm    

Interesting to note that Jay Ungar played a significant role in this album. Jay composed the beautiful piece "Ashokan Farewell" that was prominently featured in the Ken Burns documentary film, "The Civil War".

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 10:55 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Winnie's close collaborator on that album is Ken Bloom, a multi-instrumentalist who's been a dear friend to me since I was 14 and Ken was 15. Perlowin was friends with him as well back in the Los Angeles days. A great and versatile musicians who's been living in the mountains of NC for decades.

Thanks for the mention of Ken Bloom. He's one of my favorite folk artists. I became familiar with Ken in the '70's, when I was living in the Chicago area. I would see him performing in numerous folk clubs with the likes of Jim Post, Brian Bowers, Bonnie Koloc, Claudia Schmidt, Steve Goodman, John Prine, Ed and Fred Holstein, Tom Dundee and many others.

To that end, someone has a recording of Jim Post and Ken Bloom as well as others performing together at Amazingrace folk club, Evanston, Illinois, circa the mid 1970's. Here is a selection from those recordings. It's a Jim Post penned song, Titled "Michael and Adrian" Jim Post is the singer/acoustic guitarist, and Ken Bloom is on lead guitar.
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2012/08/jim-post-and-ken-bloom-michael-and-adrian2.html

Back to Michael Harrington's thread on Winnie Winston.

Keep on pickin',
Glenn