The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has anyone compared mooer wahter and chi-wah-wah pedals
Jonathan Scherer

Stehekin, Washington
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 5:19 pm    

I'm looking at these two wah pedals, does anyone have experience with both of them and if so what did you think?

http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201501158734.html

http://plutoneium.com/index.php/product/chi-wah-wah-guitar.html

The Wahter is usually cheaper.

I tried a Morley vintage wah volume boost pedal and it was too loud for me and the band, I may not have had it adjusted properly.

Thanks!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 3:42 am    

All wahs require some getting used to. Their outputs are pretty radical and can overwhelm everything downstream. So there is definitely a learning curve to getting control of their peaks in your signal chain.

You appear to be focusing on small footprint. My compliments to Mooer for their innovative approach to pedalboard footprint vs. shoe-print. Nice idea.
My only experience with Mooer is with a Shimverb reverb which was the single worst reverb I've ever used and got returned to sender after 5 minutes. However that truly should have no bearing on this (except as a warning to buy from a dealer with an easy return policy).

Your Mooer link, btw, is not working for me. Here is one--I wanted to do Sweetwater but they don't carry it:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/mooer-wahter-mini-series-classic-wah-pedal

One thing I would be watchful of, with whatever you choose, is whether it is digital (I don't know). If so, listen closely. My experience with digital wah is that it can very audibly quantize the sweep on the specific harmonic notches. On a slow pedal pass I can hear it jumping from one overtone to the next instead of being a smooth sweep. But that may be old, lo-bit tech that is no longer an issue.

I'll be interested in a product review of whatever you do buy.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 6:23 pm    

Jonathan, are you choosing between those two, because of their size alone?

Jonathan Scherer

Stehekin, Washington
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2017 11:26 pm    

I do like the compact size.

The chi-wah-wah appears to be built tougher and I believe it is analog and optical.

The wahter has a cool pressure sensing feature, just needs the foot to touch it. Isn't clear if it is digital.

Would be nice to try them out but without doing that I am more interested in the chi-wah-wah.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 7:16 pm    

Jonathan, i use a Wilson Wah, and had them custom build me one. They are all hand built and the best wah on the planet. Made in the USA one at a time. In MHO. Just the very best. I have a standard size wah pedal because I used the cry baby for so many years. But i'm sure their mini is built with the same quality. Here is the link to their mini wah page. Check them out.
http://www.wilsoneffects.com/SODMiniWah.html