The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How To Play Pedal Steel in 6 Minutes 😜
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 7:35 pm    

I saw absolutely nothing to ridicule in the guy's presentation. It was a quick introduction to how it's tuned, what the pedals do and how the instrument is played. With good optics. It was an introduction to the instrument, not a lesson.

What it did was remove the mystery of the instrument and made it more accessible to a player of a second instrument (like keyboard, guitar, or bass), should their interest be piqued enough to explore further. The video's intended audience was not this forum.

And he is not only better than Scott Groves, he's more communicative, informational, and no doubt intelligent.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 8:07 pm    

Dammit! Where was this video 18,396,000 minutes ago?......Seriously, I agree that this video demystifies PSG for the uninitiated. Asside from his bar technique, I can't find fault with this guy's "quick & dirty" introduction to the convoluted world of steel guitar.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 8:10 pm    

Sorry - negligent discharge

Last edited by Tony Glassman on 11 Jul 2017 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 4:58 am    

Herb, I totally agree, it was not my intention to ridicule. It's awesome!

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 6:12 am     pedal steel

Ian Worley wrote:
I need to get one of those Valium pedals he described. They're non-negotiable and it sounds like it could improve my sound and keep me calm at the same time

Ian LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 6:23 am    

I think that the cynical tone evident here to an enthusiastic young guys love for pedal steel is perhaps the reason he is not a member here. While pedal steel is in its death throes in many places, this guy recognizes its proper place!

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 6:45 am    

Compared to a lot of steel instruction videos I've seen, he's very concise and efficient. None of those ehms and ehs and long pauses to get back on track or adjust the camera!

I have a maintenance VHS tape by Bobbe Seymour, where he leaves the room to get some tools, or maybe a cup of coffe – and it's not edited out. And the camera points at the changer (out of focus and over-exposed) while he's talking incoherently about bellcranks... Laughing

The best explanation of pedal steel to a 6-string player I have ever seen was a short clip made by John Fabian, which really made sense – a true aha-experience. Don't know if it still exists out there.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:21 am    

Thank you Per,
That is so true!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:34 am    

Per Berner wrote:
Compared to a lot of steel instruction videos I've seen, he's very concise and efficient. None of those ehms and ehs and long pauses to get back on track or adjust the camera!

I have a maintenance VHS tape by Bobbe Seymour, where he leaves the room to get some tools, or maybe a cup of coffe – and it's not edited out. And the camera points at the changer (out of focus and over-exposed) while he's talking incoherently about bellcranks... Laughing

The best explanation of pedal steel to a 6-string player I have ever seen was a short clip made by John Fabian, which really made sense – a true aha-experience. Don't know if it still exists out there.

Could it possibly be this one?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yKM2DwOwoHk

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 9:43 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
I saw absolutely nothing to ridicule in the guy's presentation. It was a quick introduction to how it's tuned, what the pedals do and how the instrument is played. With good optics. It was an introduction to the instrument, not a lesson.

What it did was remove the mystery of the instrument and made it more accessible to a player of a second instrument (like keyboard, guitar, or bass), should their interest be piqued enough to explore further. The video's intended audience was not this forum.

And he is not only better than Scott Groves, he's more communicative, informational, and no doubt intelligent.

I agree with Herb 100%. This is a very good introduction to the instrument for guitar players.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 10:12 am    

It's an infomercial. I am sure Jim Lill knows that. There's nothing wrong with it. It is well done. There was nothing wrong with the well-done Sham Wow commercial either. That doesn't mean it can't be funny in some way though, and I don't think any of the humor expressed here has been over the top ridicule. Some of it has even been self-deprecating. Nothing wrong with a little levity, is there? Jim will probably see this thread eventually, and something tells me he will "get it".

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 11:34 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
It's an infomercial. I am sure Jim Lill knows that. There's nothing wrong with it. It is well done. There was nothing wrong with the well-done Sham Wow commercial either. That doesn't mean it can't be funny in some way though, and I don't think any of the humor expressed here has been over the top ridicule. Some of it has even been self-deprecating. Nothing wrong with a little levity, is there? Jim will probably see this thread eventually, and something tells me he will "get it".

I agree. Nothing has been ridicule, just a little friendly humor. I see Jim Lill as a plus for the steel world.

Not to beat a dead horse, but IMHO Scott Groves diminishes steel guitar by his complete discounting of what it takes to accomplish something on the instrument.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 12:31 pm    

The only thing was, he said "If you want gigs, play pedal steel."

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 12:31 pm     In the case backwards !

Why does he have the steel guitar in the case backwards? Am I the only one who watched it long enough to notice that? Tommy......