The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  good value on these jbl e140 and e120 speakers?
Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 8:52 am    

this is from my local craigslist.

https://ventura.craigslist.org/msg/6204641214.html

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 9:45 am    

apparently not. must be due to their being ceramic.

play music!

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 10:49 am     Deal?

That Gear is full on BEAT !!

It is possible that the loud speakers do not rub or other minor blown issues.

To make them live as new it is easy to recone these models and parts are readily available, weather or not they are ceramic only affects the weight.

All of the A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H series JBLs have the same basic cone structures.

Some of the super old JBL's need special coils but not these shown.

If the seller would separate the Loud speakers from the cabinets and sell them for basically nothing - 15 - 20 per frame. That would be worth doing as steel guitar - normal guitar and bass speakers.

Offer him a hundred buck for the whole load of parts just to get it out of his life, he may go for it.

The QSC's are from the 80's but if the output stages are blown , that means most likely all of the loud speakers were driving Square waves for a long time too.

If you are looking to pick a low cost sound rig and are willing to jump through the hoops to find a Rinkus diaphragm and learn how to clean up the voice coil gaps during replacement generally speaking that should all sound pretty good for that 80's typical sound.

A small portion my former life in the 70's - 90's was a Factory Trained JBL warranty recone expert to determine if a blown loudspeaker was indeed covered by factory warranty.
I also was a trained Audio Engineer for the installation of systems in Arenas - Concerts - Airports and so much more. I've installed 100's of QSC's and thousands of JBL - EV - loudspeakers.

Hope this helps you.
YouTube Channel

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 3:19 pm     Re: Deal?

George Piburn wrote:
That Gear is full on BEAT !!

It is possible that the loud speakers do not rub or other minor blown issues.

To make them live as new it is easy to recone these models and parts are readily available, weather or not they are ceramic only affects the weight.

All of the A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H series JBLs have the same basic cone structures.

Some of the super old JBL's need special coils but not these shown.

If the seller would separate the Loud speakers from the cabinets and sell them for basically nothing - 15 - 20 per frame. That would be worth doing as steel guitar - normal guitar and bass speakers.

Offer him a hundred buck for the whole load of parts just to get it out of his life, he may go for it.

The QSC's are from the 80's but if the output stages are blown , that means most likely all of the loud speakers were driving Square waves for a long time too.

If you are looking to pick a low cost sound rig and are willing to jump through the hoops to find a Rinkus diaphragm and learn how to clean up the voice coil gaps during replacement generally speaking that should all sound pretty good for that 80's typical sound.

A small portion my former life in the 70's - 90's was a Factory Trained JBL warranty recone expert to determine if a blown loudspeaker was indeed covered by factory warranty.
I also was a trained Audio Engineer for the installation of systems in Arenas - Concerts - Airports and so much more. I've installed 100's of QSC's and thousands of JBL - EV - loudspeakers.

Hope this helps you.

george, i want to thank you for your info. i've replaced surrounds on my jbl 4301s, but no reconing, so i wouldn't really want everything but i know they would want to sell it all. i just want the jbls. ha!

play music!