The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "When Did You Stop Lovin Me"-GeorgeStrait-Buddy Emmons Steel
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 4:11 pm    

Keith Kire requested this one. It's off the movie soundtrack for "Pure Country" that George Strait starred in in 1992. Buddy Emmons plays steel on this tune...hope the tab is close. NOTE: the G lever raises string 2 one half tone and lowers string 6 a full tone. Comments and corrections are always welcome. Enjoy!

Here it is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjVEzjLZN6Y

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 5:51 pm    

Great work Jeff; you are so awesome my brother.
Ricky

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 1:31 am    

Thank you so much Ricky D - that means a lot, buddy Smile

Steve Geis

Fayetteville, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 4:54 am    

Amen, Jeff! I concur with Ricky D: Auesome job !!!

Keith Kire

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 2:26 pm     Amazing!!!

Thank you so much for this!!! I started playing about a month and half ago. I have been practicing at least 5 hours a day. I had actually put my bar down for the day, but now I gotta get back on it again lol. Thanks again

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2017 4:10 pm    

Thanks Jeff I love all the tunes from the pure country soundtrack! I would like to learn king of broken hearts of you know that one Very Happy

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 5:42 am    

Great job, Jeff - one of my all-time favorite intros (and songs)! Love Buddy's tone on this album.

Keith Kire

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 6:15 am     On point!

Just wanted to drop back in and say this TAB is PERFECT!!! Thanks again for helping this newbie out!

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 2:26 pm    

Jeff I just went through tab lick by lick with the album cut and gotta say, VERY NICE!! I'm a new player to PSG and don't have the 6string G lever change on this student model, but other than that change, this tab made me feel fuzzy inside about my progress!!!

Any suggestions on the G lever changes (I just slide bar up a free for 2nd string) how would I substitute for 6 string change?

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 2:46 pm    

Note that the 6th string with the G lever engaged is the same note as your seventh string. Where it can get a little awkward is if you're sliding on strings 8, 6, 5. (the correct note without a G lever is on the seventh string, NOT the 6th string with the G lever)
The grip with 8 string D lever, 6 string G lever, and 5 string is identical to two frets back with 8 string F lever, 6 string, 5 string A pedal. So you could try to work the AF combo in, 2 frets back.
Did any of that make sense?

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 3:00 pm    

It absolutely make sense. I don't know the notes as much as I'm trying to remember positions so i had no clue it was the same as the 7th string...

This type of playing (backing) fits my needs a lot more than solos. I will be playing at church and, Lord willing g, with a gospel group so fills and complimentary playing is so right down my alley!!

So yes, makes sense to me...I'm sitting here feeling it out with the album now!!! Thanka a million!!!

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 3:04 pm    

So am I correct in thinking at the end of the intro, where you strike 8,6,5 and rock on and off G lever, I would strike the 7th string, block and then strike 6th? I know it won't be as smooth but I'm guessing it will give the same!e effect...that or just play diads on those parts???

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 3:21 pm    

as I remember the "G lever thing" on the 6th string was really subtle on the recording...you could just slide from 5AB right up to 10 on strings 8, 6, 5. Or as you say, pick string 7 separately. Don't get too hung up about playing it exactly, note for note - I'm sure I didn't nail it perfectly with the tab anyway. You will soon find out if you haven't already that there are always several places on the neck to play the same notes which is what can be frustrating when trying to tab something out. The big thing is to just come close and know what chords you need to wind up on during phrases to blend in with the band.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 3:29 pm    

I ha e learned that there r several ways to do the same thing and it comes down to personal preference. And I listened closely and your right, it is very subtle. Don't sell yourself short though, it is a great translation of what is played on the album! At least I think so! 😀😀😀😊

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 3:42 pm    

So I wanted to share an example of what we were just talking about Jeff, cause I found something that works great for me:

The fill following the first line of the 1st verse, since I don't have the G lever....

String 4 at fret 5, string 2 at 5, slide up to fret 6 and then play 5A at 6 and then play as tabbed from there. If you don't have the G lever like me, this works nicely! 😎

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 9:14 am    

Jeff got a question for ya bud...

Seeing gow you did so great with this song, I was wondering if you had looked at another song from the Pure Country soundtrack, King of Broken Hearts.

I love the steel in this tune!! If you have tabbed it, please give me a shout!!!! Thabks!

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 11:28 am    

I haven't taken a look at George Strait's (Buddy's) version yet but check out this post
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=201840&highlight=king+broken+hearts

Paul Franklin plays on LeeAnn Womack's cover of it. Real nice steel break starting at 1:35 and it looks like it's just about all tabbed out by PF himself and a few other Forumites on this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qgiOXz57Sg

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 11:42 am    

Tabbed out by Paul????....I'll take it! Plus a guy emailed me a tab to Emmons version I think...I haven't got to go over it yet though. Thanks for Paul's version!

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 4:53 pm    

I'm gonna have to pull out some tab paper and make Paul's corrections to that one Jeff, but it's great that he was willing to let everyone know what he did

Jeremiah Davidson

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 6:50 pm    

Jim Morris wrote:
So am I correct in thinking at the end of the intro, where you strike 8,6,5 and rock on and off G lever, I would strike the 7th string, block and then strike 6th? I know it won't be as smooth but I'm guessing it will give the same!e effect...that or just play diads on those parts???

First of all thank you Jeff Garden for this tab it is a beautiful song and you did a great job. This is one of the first songs I've learned on my guitar. I also don't have the 6th lower, or 2 raise. My RKL Raises 7 F# to G#, RKR lowers 2 to D/Db with feelstop. Maybe this could be useful for you? Its hard to play it like this, but sounds good once you practice a bunch.

Hilton volume pedal