The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any ideas on value of a 1956 Gibson?
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 8:21 am    

I have a local person who has inherited a 1956 Gibson Concert Grande (I presume, haven't seen it in person yet). It is a double and according to the folks at the local music store who have seen it, is in very good condition for it's age. Owner is asking $1000 for it. It is currently at a music store in another town but she will be bringing it home in a couple of weeks and I plan to go and look at / play it.

Is this an investment I could make and most likely be able to sell at some point down the road without taking a loss on it?

I've never seen or played one of these and might fall in love with it when I do. I don't think she is going to move very much if at all on the price.

Last edited by Jim Williams on 7 Jul 2017 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 8:33 am    

Whole or in pieces? Lol

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 10:22 am    

Jim,

Do a search for "Gibson console grande" (not concert grand) in the for sale section of the forum and you might see what people have gotten for one in the past.

Here's a really nice one (with adjustable legs!) on ebay that the seller may take an offer on to give you a point of reference:
https://reverb.com/item/5750629-gibson-console-grande-40-s-or-50-s-2-tone-sunburst

Someone snapped up a triple on ebay recently for $500.

They don't seem to move as readily as an equivalent Fender from that era but they are soooo beautiful. If this one is nice, $1000 seems like a reasonable asking price but maybe not a "steal".

Stephen Baker

Lancashire, UK
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 10:30 am    

If it's a '56 it's probably a Gibson CG 520 like this one. Though I think this one is later than '56

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 11:08 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
Whole or in pieces? Lol

I know where that question comes from Mike Smile

It would be whole, when I buy it and when I sell it.

Sorry for the misspelling on "Grande"...thought I had changed that.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 3:38 pm    

The pre-1956 Console Grande guitars are more of the Don Helms style (particularly those of the late 40s and early 50s). Very late 30s and early 40s models are somewhat similar to the more famous mid-century guitars, with older style pickups and an association with Little Roy Wiggins, although he played later models also.

In 1956 and beyond the CG-520/523 came out with a new 4-8-4 pickup, longer scale necks (24-3/4") with black plastic fretboards, and dropping the heavy solid wood body for box/panel construction. There was also a CG-530, which basically updated the Consolette and had a metal-covered humbucking pickup. They made these models for about 10 years.

The earlier Console Grandes are arguably more popular, due to their associations and classic tone, but the later models made some nice technological advances in pickups and controls, including a boo-wah button, and are regarded as very good guitars. Hey, it's a Gibson.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 4:07 pm    

Yes, this is a 520.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 4:10 pm    

Looks like a long stretch to that back neck