Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 3:51 pm    

probably to some degree, yes.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 5:02 pm    

I just got done recording an album. I did what I thought could sound good before the band leader (and principle producer) got there. I came to find out he had different ideas of what I should play. No problem - I played what he asked. I can accept (and welcome) instruction. As a player, if you are hoping to serve the song and not your ego, you'll probably get the right vibe.

The right thing for the song often has nothing to do with flashy pedal steel playing. Unless it does... Laughing But, usually, it doesn't.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2017 4:27 am    

Brandon Schafer wrote:
I just got done recording an album. I did what I thought could sound good before the band leader (and principle producer) got there. I came to find out he had different ideas of what I should play. No problem - I played what he asked. I can accept (and welcome) instruction. As a player, if you are hoping to serve the song and not your ego, you'll probably get the right vibe.

The right thing for the song often has nothing to do with flashy pedal steel playing. Unless it does... Laughing But, usually, it doesn't.

excellent post and comment.

As I stated above, I am not a regular duty session guy, maybe 10 or 12/year. But I did learn early on that listening to a track ahead of the studio session is a huge mistake unless we are part of the initial arrangement and initial production. If we are called in to ADD to an existing track , my take, don't even listen to it unless we are in the company of the one who approves what we play ! Our idea of whats good may very well be their idea of whats totally wrong ! Embarassed

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2017 10:03 pm    

On more than one occasion, I've been in a session and was warming up by playing around on the pedals, when the producer came in and the first thing he said was, "no Nashville". Given the talent in Los Angeles, if I'd been called for "Nashville", I'd be checking the obits to see if my friends were gone.

As you all know, the pedal steel has capabilities that none of the other instruments can come close to. A number of years ago I got a call for an album by a Broadway singer and what I ended up doing, mostly, was just walking around in the chords and putting some slow motion on the bar to create a chordal atmosphere. When she hit a high note, I might put a halo behind her. We did do a concert and I had to deliver a "traditional" solo that the audience appreciated.

I just had a call to play on a film score that the composer had done entirely on a synthesizer and it had a lot of activity, but it was lifeless. My job is to fit in and put some life in it, and the pedal steel can do that.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 7:10 am    

chas smith wrote:
When she hit a high note, I might put a halo behind her. .

I have never heard that term before. What does "put a halo behind her" mean?
Also, I assume it is easier to avoid "Nashville" on C6. What else is meant by "no Nashville"? This would be a very odd and intimidating request for me.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 10:17 am    

I always assume "no Nashville" means no bending into a note with pedal A.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 6:37 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:

I was thinking it probably meant don't do the one thing pedal steel does better than any other instrument on the planet. Kinda like being asked to play slide guitar, but don't do any Duane.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 11:22 am    

There are a lot of A&B pedal licks that have become stereotypical of Nashville country music. For film music things, there's a shot of the back of a pickup truck rear window with a gun in the gun rack and I've done the A&B pedal (signature) squeeze and that puts us south of the Mason Dixon.

The "halo" was a high chord that I volume-pedaled in to "shimmer" support the note she was singing.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2017 2:26 pm    

chas smith wrote:
The "halo" was a high chord that I volume-pedaled in to "shimmer" support the note she was singing.

Thanks, Chas. I will be working with female vocalists and I was wondering about how to approach upper register stuff.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 5:34 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
Herb Steiner wrote:

I was thinking it probably meant don't do the one thing pedal steel does better than any other instrument on the planet. Kinda like being asked to play slide guitar, but don't do any Duane.

You can also slide into every note with a trombone. But that doesn't mean you should.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 8:48 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
You can also slide into every note with a trombone. But that doesn't mean you should.

Agreed. I read a Jerry Byrd interview where he expressed his disgust with slide guitarists who did that. "Every note, zip-zip-zip", I believe is how he described it. Duane Allman zipped appropriately, IMO.

Changing double stops and chord voicings while the notes are still ringing is what PSG does better than a trombone or slide guitar or any other instrument. If that's Nashville, then I guess I'm Nashville.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 3:32 pm    

Quote:
Thanks, Chas. I will be working with female vocalists and I was wondering about how to approach upper register stuff.

Fred, the thing of it is, this singer had a huge voice and she would deliver and hold a high note that could have some "background". You want to be sure not to play anything that will conflict or draw attention away from the singer. The performance is about her, not the pedal steel.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2017 4:19 pm    

[quote="chas smith"]
Quote:
The performance is about her, not the pedal steel.

Got it. Played guitar in a show band for 15 years, it has
never been about me Cool