The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Morphin' Means More Fun
Bill Galvan

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 1:03 pm    

Ever heard the word MORPH? Ever use the word MORPH? Chances are you have if your a non-pedal steel guitarist.
It's an old word with a long list of definitions. But in the last fifty years a new definition
has been added.
morph: verb used with an object; to transform an image by computer
Another, more recent definition for non-pedal players is:
morph: verb used with tuning changes; to transform a tuning without
changing string gages.
I don't know where I heard this. Maybe on the Forum, but I didn't create the definition.
When an A6 tuning is changed to a C6 by retuning the C# 's to C's and the F#'s to G's
the player is morphing an A6 to a C6.
My vintage 8 string, steel has three necks but I routinely use 6 different tunings by
morphing to obtain: E13th w/high G# (Roy W. and Don H.); E13th w/9th and low bass E
(Leon M.); a C6th; A6th, and B11. I also morph the high G# to A on the E13th. Why?
While recently tabing the old standard TANGERINE I found the original sheet music
(key of F) used the A (above G#) as the lead-line note with the following chords: Gm7,
C7, F, D7, F#m, Bm7, A7, A7sus and Dm7. You can see why morphing the G# to an A
would be beneficial. Examples: the A7sus is played on strings 2, 3 and 4 at fret 3 plus
the open A on string 1; the Gm7 is played on strings 3, 4 and 5 at fret 6 plus the open
A on string 1.
This morph is also helpful when playing the NIGHT LIFE intro (in D as Buddy did) on
non-pedal E13th because that intro drones the A note at every chord.
Of course, morphing is not for musicians working with bands. No one wants to wait between songs while you re-tune (morph) your guitar. But for old guys playing alone
with rhythm tracks at home, we have all the time in the world and morphing' makes for more fun.