The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sticky Pick Grip Stuff??
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 12:09 pm    

What do you guys use to keep your picks on besides spit?!

bob

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 12:23 pm    

That stuff the ladies use at the bank when counting out money...I don't use it personally, but it looks like it works well for them, and I've seen it mentioned on other guitar forums.

LEE Sortkwik Fingertip Moistener -

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 2:04 pm    

Tim Russell wrote:
That stuff the ladies use at the bank when counting out money...I don't use it personally, but it looks like it works well for them, and I've seen it mentioned on other guitar forums.

LEE Sortkwik Fingertip Moistener -

Lee,

My wife has some of that and it actually is worse than nothing!

Thanks anyway Smile

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 2:09 pm    

I just consider slipping picks as part of the instrument. I always see picker pushing their picks back on while playing. Otherwise maybe some Gorilla snot?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gorilla-snot-gorilla-snot?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw-ezKBRAGEiwAu-_-LPxHo0HN7NjWsK0lnuyIbZnl6JiwTRx5gcLKNSm8pyO7zWw-qYHBHxoCG4wQAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid%5E156403583515-device%5Ec-plaid%5E142918411461-sku%5E428010000000000@ADL4MF-adType%5EPLA

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 2:16 pm    

A gentle beneficial tackiness is achieved with a good layer of nail polish, preferably clear (once, at a gig, I borrowed a bright red on break time).
It not only gives a bit of grip, it protects your fingers from the effects of two of the metals in the fingerpicks: the copper turns your fingers green and the zinc dries the skin.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 2:24 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
A gentle beneficial tackiness is achieved with a good layer of nail polish, preferably clear (once, at a gig, I borrowed a bright red on break time).
It not only gives a bit of grip, it protects your fingers from the effects of two of the metals in the fingerpicks: the copper turns your fingers green and the zinc dries the skin.

On your nails, picks, or fingers??

bob

Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 2:45 pm    

Cheap stick glue@ dollar store. That's what I use. Good for 6 string. Bob M

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 3:15 pm    

I use a product called "Stick N Pik" however the company is no longer around. If you can find some its in a small tube like lip moisturizer and a tube will last a long time (the tube I have is about two years old and still has about 2/3 left). Its non toxic and does not make a mess like Gorilla Snot.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 3:57 pm    

Pro Grip's Non Slip is less than $4 from elderly.

Gorilla Snot's Pick Honey. Used to be something called PixSTix or something like that too. Most guitar supply stores have some type of grip aid.

If you got a pine tree anywhere around you, harvest some of that tar, but you have to be careful about getting it in places you don't want it. It's free and abundant in most areas.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 5:02 pm    

Bob Snelgrove wrote:
Lane Gray wrote:

On your nails, picks, or fingers??

bob

On the inside of the fingerpicks. Give them a good thick layer.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 5:24 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=149375&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25
Someone was offering picks for sale sometime back with a dipped red type material

Last edited by Kevin Mincke on 5 Jul 2017 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 6:02 pm    

Try this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Tone-Sticky-Picks-Wayne/dp/B00JYF0UB6/ref=sr_1_1/132-3995761-2797308?ie=UTF8&qid=1499220086&sr=8-1&keywords=sticky+picks

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 6:25 pm    

I use sticky pic it works and lasts a long time. Wes

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2017 6:27 pm    

Bob Moore wrote:
Cheap stick glue@ dollar store. That's what I use. Good for 6 string. Bob M

Tried it.

Works, not to sticky or slick Smile

bob

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 4:35 am    

Don R Brown wrote:
Try this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Tone-Sticky-Picks-Wayne/dp/B00JYF0UB6/ref=sr_1_1/132-3995761-2797308?ie=UTF8&qid=1499220086&sr=8-1&keywords=sticky+picks

It is also important to note that "Sticky Picks" is made by Wayne Hobbs, a high-caliber professional steel player. Nobody would know better about this subject than one of our own!

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 3:09 pm    

Glad to see this because I lost my one and only bottle. Going to have to give me some more thanks

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 3:45 pm    

I tried "Gorilla Snot" but that's about what it felt like & hard to wash off.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 4:10 pm    

Try the glue stick Smile

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 5:12 pm    

The thing about Gorilla Snot or any of the sticky stuff is not to get it anywhere except the tips of your fingers or it will cause you problems. It does wear off though after a bit.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 6:28 pm    

Wow! It finally hit me!

I knew there was a thread (probably more than one) I saw on here in the past regarding this issue with picks. In the previous threads the discussion was about using that "plastic-dip" coating that you can get from hardware stores, applying it to the bands of the pick. Heat-shrink tubing was also mentioned.

Since I do not have any of that plastic-dip stuff on hand, I decided to try the heat shrink. It works great! I sleeved the entire band, but I'm going to experiment; I believe a small sized piece, maybe 1/4" on the bottom or side of the band may be sufficient.

It feels a little "odd", since I'm used to "bareback", lol - but after playing 10 min. or so, I can see myself getting used to the feel. And maybe it only feels odd because I have the tubing applied to the ends of the band, where it has an odd feel on my fingernails.

If I trimmed that part away, and only have it on the sides of the band, I think it would feel more comfortable. One thing I can tell you is, they no longer slip!

This pic is from a previous thread - these are not my picks.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 6:48 pm    

Tim Russell wrote:
Wow! It finally hit me!

I knew there was a thread (probably more than one) I saw on here in the past regarding this issue with picks. In the previous threads the discussion was about using that "plastic-dip" coating that you can get from hardware stores, applying it to the bands of the pick. Heat-shrink tubing was also mentioned.

Since I do not have any of that plastic-dip stuff on hand, I decided to try the heat shrink. It works great! I sleeved the entire band, but I'm going to experiment; I believe a small sized piece, maybe 1/4" on the bottom or side of the band may be sufficient.

It feels a little "odd", since I'm used to "bareback", lol - but after playing 10 min. or so, I can see myself getting used to the feel. And maybe it only feels odd because I have the tubing applied to the ends of the band, where it has an odd feel on my fingernails.

If I trimmed that part away, and only have it on the sides of the band, I think it would feel more comfortable. One thing I can tell you is, they no longer slip!

This pic is from a previous thread - these are not my picks.

What size shrink wrap?

bob

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 7:01 pm    

Bob,

I have smaller hands, skinny fingers, so my picks are "mediums", I think. For mine, I used a 19/64". Maybe others can chime in if they wear larger picks and have used heat shrink tube.

I have been using Pro Piks lately, and they are my favorite so far.

They are kind of like Dunlops, but the bands are flat, not curved. The curved band on the Dunlops have a tendency to get caught in the strings when I pick, and Nationals, the bands are too narrow for my liking.

So, it may be that a smaller tube would fit Nationals. I suggest taking your picks to the hardware store, Home Depot, and ask if you can try on a few shrink tubes for the best size.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 7:09 pm    

Tim Russell wrote:
Bob,

I have smaller hands, skinny fingers, so my picks are "mediums", I think. For mine, I used a 19/64". Maybe others can chime in if they wear larger picks and have used heat shrink tube.

I have been using Pro Piks lately, and they are my favorite so far.

They are kind of like Dunlops, but the bands are flat, not curved. The curved band on the Dunlops have a tendency to get caught in the strings when I pick, and Nationals, the bands are too narrow for my liking.

So, it may be that a smaller tube would fit Nationals. I suggest taking your picks to the hardware store, Home Depot, and ask if you can try on a few shrink tubes for the best size.

Thanks, Tim

So, you have to stretch it first before shrinking?

bob

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 7:38 pm    

What I have here is just under 1/2"..about 12.5mm close as I can get. I put it on the same picks as in Tim's photo. That size slips over the bands easily and shrinks down nicely.

I believe I got this stuff in a cheap shrink wrap assortment pack from either Harbor Freight or Parts-Express...can't remember and neither site shows this particular size now, but I know it's out there somewhere.

This method that we pretty much stole from Doug Rolfe works pretty good against slippage but I personally don't like the feel.

Matter of fact I think Doug still sells the picks already done and he does a nice job on them.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 1:55 am    

Thanks for the input, Jerry.

Initially, I was thinking of going with Lane's suggestion of coating the picks with nail polish, as I didn't really want to have to apply something to my fingers. An extra step, something extra to carry around...

So then the heat shrink idea came to me, remembering the threads I had seen in the past. Anyway, here is what I have determined. You only need a 1/4" of the tubing, applied to the middle of the bands, as shown in the pictures.

The extra tubing, as I initially used, covering to the end of the band, is too much - it makes for a really odd sensation on my fingernails, lol. As Jerry mentioned, I have an assortment pack from Harbor Freight too, and he obviously has larger fingers than I do, as 1/2" tube is a fair amount larger than the 19/64" that I used.

That said, this stuff shrinks an unbelievable amount, so 1/2" would probably work on all picks, I would guess.
Make sure to hold the pick with needle nose pliers, as it gets quite warm during the shrinking process!