INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roy Honeycutt Recordings?
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post Posted 3 Jul 2017 11:06 am     Reply with quote

I'm attempting to locate, clean, then digitize all of the instrumental recordings by Roy Honeycutt.

Roy played for Bob Wills for a short time, and only ended up recording "Steel Guitar Rag" that I know of. However, he may have recorded several versions of it, since Joe Goldmark's Steel discography lists this tunes on 4 different releases (3 Tiffany Transcriptions and one LP). I also have "Wednesday Night Swing", so don't need a copy of it.

Unless Roy recorded other instrumentals, I'm only looking for the tunes, "Honeycutt Stomp," "Long Lost Girl" and Wild Strings (this tune Roy recorded with Big Jim DeNoon and may have only provided an instrumental break in it. However, this is such a classic, I'd like to get it anyway).

If I could borrow these cuts, I will return the albums they are on, plus provide a CD of all of Roy's recorded material that I'm able to find. All who may have ideas about where I can find the tunes I want, are welcome to respond here or send me an email at tommybradshaw@gmail.com

Thanks, ...Tom
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post Posted 3 Jul 2017 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

Tom:

Big Jim Boogie is another DeNoone instrumental.

Long Lost Girl is not an instro; it's a Big Jim DeNoone recording with vocal by Bill Carter.

As far as I know, the steel guitarist on those 2 songs plus Wild Strings, Honeycut Stomp, and Wednesday Night Swing is Travis Smith.

All were recorded at KVSM in San Mateo in late 1953.

I have all of them in mp3 format.

Travis was well-known in Modesto for many years, deceased in 2011. Born in Texas in 1929. As I understand it, he later developed arthritis that seriously affected his playing, but I'm told he had a fine singing voice and was very well known locally in Modesto.

Wild Strings is a top 5 steel instrumental for my taste due to the tone of the steel on the recording and for that reason I've tried to run down any details since I first heard it probably 40 years ago.

Travis Smith is all I have ever come up with.

You would think that "Honeycutt Stomp" would be a Roy Honeycutt number.

However:

It is spelled with one T on the label and the composer is one "L. Honeycut", whoever that is.

L. Honeycut may in fact be Roy Honeycutt. I don't know. But I have no evidence it's Roy Honeycutt on steel on that recording.

What has led you to believe Roy Honeycutt is on any of the DeNoone recordings? Maybe you have better info than I've scraped together.

Roy did record at least 3 songs with with T. Texas Tyler, but I can't trace an instrumental.

Here is a pic of the label for Honeycut Stomp and a pic of Travis Smith.

See your other post for Al Petty info.

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post Posted 4 Jul 2017 11:05 am     Reply with quote

Mitch: As a 16-year old budding steel player living in Monterey, California, in 1951, on Friday and Saturday nights I would drive my Model A Ford to Mortimer's Club (a bar with a dance floor about 5 miles away; in Marina, CA). I'd sneak into the back entrance, hide in a dark corner and listen to Big Jim DeNoon's trio (I never saw his name spelled with an "e" on the end, but maybe that was the correct spelling. My interest was in Roy Honeycutt playing his lap steel and I was in awe of his single-string skill. At that time, Jim called him Leroy, not Roy. Roy spelled his name with two T's. I know that because I later had contact with his son (who recently passed on). I do believe the "L. Honeycut" song credit on the record you pictured, is simply a misspelling of his name.

I was eventually hired by Jim, but didn't last long because Jim moved away and I had no intention of ever playing "professionally" beyond high school (and I did at the "Big Barn" in Salinas) until I graduated.

I thank you for the information on Jim DeNoon's recordings. You could be right about someone else being the steel player on several of Jim's record releases. I would like to further discuss with you my interest in Honeycutt and would appreciate your contact with me at tommybradshaw@gmail.com. ...Tom