The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String Noise
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2017 10:23 am    

I know this has been discussed here before, but I seem to get an undue amount of string / bar noise. This is on my new GFI guitar, using a stainless bar. The strings on it are the ones that came on it, so I'm not sure what they are, but I would assume they are nickel. They don't appear to be corroded or anything. Technique tips? String dressing?

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2017 10:37 am    

Try new strings, whatever you usually use?

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2017 10:42 am    

You might try reducing the highs and/or presence on the amp. Also, if it is aimed at your head you might be hearing the highs extra. I think some bars are just noisier. I have an old Dunlop and a BJS. The BJS is very noticeably quieter. Just a couple of thoughts.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2017 10:48 am    

Thanks, my bar is a Dunlop. The amp is already toned down quite a bit and is not aimed at my head, but it is pretty close to the guitar. I'm pretty sure all of my bars are Dunlop except for a lap steel bar that might be another band, but I have tried it and don't see a lot of difference.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2017 10:49 am    

Ken Pippus wrote:
Try new strings, whatever you usually use?

I don't really have a "usual" brand, since I just got back into the pedal steel. Only thing I can get locally are Ernie Ball, and I would have to sub a couple of singles to get the right gauges for the guitar.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2017 12:18 pm    

Stainless Bars and Strings can be kind of noisy due to the bar dragging. Are you using your fingers behind the bar to dampen bar noise or overtones?

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2017 12:20 pm    

Yep, using the fingers. Bar is stainless but I assume strings ( wound ones at least) are nickel.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2017 12:33 pm    

I would assume both the strings and bar are stainless, that's a no-no! Whoa!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2017 6:52 pm    

I agree that changing the strings would be step #1. Get a good set like Live Steel Strings or Jagwires. Get nickel. Stainless always seem to have more (and to me, harsher) highs.I sometimes have that problem with those. Those are my two favorites. Many others have other faves.

I would also work on the left hand a bit. Although you have your fingers on the strings behind the bar, they may not be on the strings firmly enough or too firmly. It doesn't take much, but it does matter. Play around with different amounts of pressure. Also, make sure the tip of your bar is not covering all 10 strings at all times. Have the bar only covering to the highest string you are picking at the time. I had a student one time that did that and resisted my attempts to break that bad habit. His noise levels were atrocious. I threatened to stop giving him lessons, and then he started practicing moving the bar to only the highest string like I said, and his noise levels went way down. Bar pressure is another thing to look at. there has to be a small amount of pressure to make sure the strings don't "buzz".

Good luck.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2017 7:02 pm     String Noise

I started playing a S12 U GFI about 18 months ago. I have noticed that it seems the strings are fine one day and the next day they sound Funky. Check the Nut rollers. you may have an out of size roller or order of the strings could be causing part of the problem.
I have not played my GFI in 3 weeks, Since the strings was a month old when I left, It will get a new set when I get home and sit down next at it next week. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.