INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Not sure if this is funny or a public service announcement
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post Posted 28 Jun 2017 5:09 pm     Reply with quote

The wife has a car and as long as she has the key fob in her purse you can touch the car handle and it unlocks the car. Pretty cool!

When you want to start the car, just press the button on the dashboard and the car starts.
Pretty cool!

Had to take the wife to a doctors appointment so we took her car and I drove. I dropped her off at the doctors office and said I was going to pickup a few things at a nearby shopping center and then pick her up. I drive to the shopping center, park the car and shut it off.

I then realize I don't have the keys and no way to start the car. Had to call a Taxi to take me to the doctors office to get the keys from the wife then take the Taxi back to the shopping center to get the car.

Cost me 20 bucks for the Taxi ride. Technology is great but give me an old fashion key to start a car
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post Posted 29 Jun 2017 1:39 am     Reply with quote

Len, that's a great public service. Also it's extremely funny to anyone but you.

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post Posted 29 Jun 2017 3:21 am     Reply with quote

This is only the beginning, Len, with all of the talk about driverless cars. What happens with a GPS malfunction - are you effectively kidnapped and the car drives you somewhere you don't want to go? Who's at fault in a collision between two driverless cars and whose insurance gets tagged? Can you "butt-start" your driverless car by sitting on the fob inside your house and have it drive off by itself without you in it? Can it get confused and think it's at its destination so it stops dead in the middle of a busy interstate? What if an existing parking lot is being torn up...will it drive through a barrier into a 10' ditch? Fasten your seatbelt!
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post Posted 29 Jun 2017 4:22 am     Reply with quote

Our car has a similar feature. However, if you get out of the car while it's running, and the key fob gets out with you. The horn will sound repeatedly if you close the door. Charming feature, but I'm with you...sometimes technology can be a pita.

Northern California
Post Posted 29 Jun 2017 4:33 am     Reply with quote

My wife's car turns itself off when the key fob is out of range. I dropped her off shopping, went to park and the car shut down at the far end of the lot.

It thought I was a carjacker!

Arizona, USA
Post Posted 29 Jun 2017 4:37 am     Reply with quote

b0b wrote:
went to park and the car shut down at the far end of the lot.

That's actually a dangerous feature. What if you'd pulled out into traffic or started to cross RR tracks, and it decided to shut down?

out of the blue
Post Posted 1 Jul 2017 4:35 am     Reply with quote

These features were designed to protect us from ourselves.
They're working on features that will protect us from the features they designed to protect ourselves.
Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post Posted 2 Jul 2017 2:34 am     Reply with quote

It's another one of those totally unnecessary features... How hard is it to push a button on the key in your pocket to unlock?

My previous car had a "soft-close" feature, which instead of closing the the doors gently and quietly did so with an awful clunk, not luxurious in any way, shape or form... And since passengers always were unfamiliar with this function, they all slammed the doors shut anyway...a worthless, annoying $800 option!

...and my next car, to be built to spec in a week or two, comes with a Display Key. Yep, a fancy high-resolution color display, built into the key – which as a result is twice as big and heavy as it needs to be! Why? Just because they can, I suppose...

Last edited by Per Berner on 2 Jul 2017 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post Posted 2 Jul 2017 3:06 am     Reply with quote

SO much for artificial intelligence...

Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!