The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZUMSTEEL vs. CARTER tone experiment
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2017 3:44 pm    

Bill, you do better sick than most folks do in top form.

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 1:25 pm     Sum vs. Carter

I could definitly tell a difference. The Zum is a little richer in tone than the Carter. I like the Zum tone better.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 1:40 am    

AMEN Richard Very Happy ....This man knows his stuff in his comment. Hope you and Cynthia are well Smile

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 4:55 am    

Great playing! The zum sounded somewhat harsh on some of the licks. I really appreciate the sustain and brillliance of your carter!

Dustin Lam

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2017 5:34 pm    

great playing!! Carter wins on the high's but the lower range the Zum wins, I thought the Carter had as good sustain as Zum but I'm partial to Carter's , either way you made them both sound great

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 9:30 am    

I find that the sound the audience hears and/or the tone you hear on a recording of yourself is not that different between guitars. The real difference is what you hear live as you play the guitar. That's where I really hear the difference between guitar/setups. The more I like what I hear, as I'm playing it, the more inspired I am to play with emotion and outside my usual box.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 12:51 pm    

Bill Cunningham wrote:
There is a slight difference but I say "What does it matter?". In a real world live or recording situation, either tone would be great. If I was listening to either guitar on your CD, I would not be saying to myself "that tone doesn't sound as good as it should" I would be saying "what a nice TOUCH!".

My brother Bill Ferguson used to have a tag line "Stop worrying about how your guitar sounds and work on your playing" (I think I restated it pretty close). For 95% of us, I think too much energy is spent obsessing over tone rather than technique, theory, and making hands do what our heart feels and our head hears.

OK, putting my soapbox away now. Can you tell I've been pretty sick all week? Laughing

Sign me up for the CD! Nice picking.

I agree 100%. There's been every combination of guitar, amp, pickup, effects, speaker change outs, etc... imaginable through the years and it all comes down to the same thing.... good players always sound good and others not so good... equipment seems to be a minor factor.

Bill- sorry you've been sick. Hope you're all better now!

RC