The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Support - 5 Stars
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2017 7:32 am    

I just wanted to post a bit of positive info here regarding GFI guitars and their support.

I recently bought on of their Student guitars through a dealer. It developed a slight squeak in the changer so I called GFI. Bob Diekmeier there walked me through re-lubing the changer on the phone which immediately cured the problem.

I'm 5'6 and the guitar is a bit high for me, and causing my old, bad back to complain, so once again, I called on Bob. He is arranging purchase / shipment of a set of shorter legs today, even though he was on his way out of town.

Bob is a great guy, and you don't get much better service than this.

Jason Cady

New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2017 8:26 am    

How much do the shorter legs cost? I've thought about ordering some too.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2017 8:31 am    

They list for $150 for the set plus $30 for the shorter rods. You also have to drill or have the holes drilled for the pedal board mounting bolts, as they can't do that because it might or might not line up properly on your guitar. I figured I could either pay them or pay my Chiropractor Smile

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2017 12:14 pm    

i`ve said it before: i really doubt there`s a better service anywhere than bob`s at GFI !

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2017 12:50 pm    

Competent, quick, courteous service all the time. GFI runs a high quality show.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2017 8:17 pm     GFI Support Five Stars

I agree They are great to help. I had a problem with the nut rollers in my S12. I had figured out, You have to remove the complete Nut Rollers in one piece to remove the shaft and rollers. E-mailed them they returned the next day on the operation.
They have been Great.

Jason Cady

New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2017 6:52 am    

Thanks for the info Jim.

Let us know how you like the new legs after you get them.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2017 6:58 am    

They came in today. Hopefully will get a machinist friend of mine to drill the pedal board holes tomorrow after I put them on and mark the spots. I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully it will relieve some back issues and make it a bit easier to block with my right hand at a more level angle. It's tough being short Smile

I went with 2" shorter than original height. There will still be plenty of leg clearance and the knee levers should hit about the middle of my legs rather than barely hitting the tops...should make for a lot easier access to the knee levers and reduce my dread of hitting notes because of having to stretch to reach them.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2017 12:05 pm    

I went home at lunch and put the new legs on, but couldn't hook up the pedals yet, however I can tell it is going to make things a lot better. Levers within easy movement now and arms level to the top of the guitar...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 8:07 am    

GFI 👍

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 10:10 am    

Well, I got my holes drilled for the pedal board this morning and all I can say is wow. This is probably the best money I have ever spent towards playing the pedal steel. I can now comfortable sit and play with no stretches to reach knee levers, no nagging back pain, and much easier position for my right hand to block. Hard to believe that a couple of inches could make so much difference in so many areas. I will add to that I love this guitar. Stays in tune, pedals are so easy I can play it bare-footed...just couldn't be much happier for the investment.

Paul Malta

New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:16 am    

Awesome company. I recently bought a used GFI Ultra S10 Keyless and Bob very patiently answered all my questions on it. One of the plastic wing nuts on a pedalboard clamp was broken so he sent me a new pair of chrome pedalboard clamps for free. I also bought shorter legs and rods (1" shorter) for a more relaxed shoulder position and elbow angle (just couldn't get comfortable on seat height alone). The guitar fits me like a glove now, plays perfectly, sounds much bigger than its size (it's super light) and stays in tune even after transporting it. Setup is a breeze, I'm up and running in less than 10min with minimal adjustments after transport.

Great guitars, great company. Just had to say it too. 👍

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2017 7:42 am    

Paul, my guitar is setup in our bedroom, which is not very climate controlled...temperature varies quite a bit through the day / night but the guitar holds it tune amazingly well. I guess the aluminum frame helps in that respect.