The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  stringmaster low volume on middle neck.
Nicky North

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 3:15 pm    

I came across a three neck stringmaster in the local music store. It was apparently in somebodies grandfathers closet for a lot of years. I just had to have it.

I can't find a serial number.

The only two problems are that the volume on the middle neck is about half of the top and bottom and that the top part of the little blender knob on the middle neck is snapped (spins freely) since it is not attached to the bottom part.

Any ideas on determining the age of this?
What to do about the volume?
And where to find a replacement blender piece?

Walt North

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 11:37 pm    

Hi Walt,

Nice find.

The serial number can be found just by the blend knob on the neck closest to you (the one with the volume and tone control).

Although the serial numbers aren't that useful in dating a guitar, Basil Henriques did start compiling a list of known serial numbers and dates on this forum but, unfortunately didn't get much response. It does seem that the numbers at least get higher, the newer the guitar is so maybe not as random as was originally thought but the serial number cannot be used to pinpoint the date in the same way as you could on a Tele or a Strat. Maybe if more of us provided some details to Basil, we'd be closer on this.

The date month and year is usually found pencilled under the tuner pans (probably one on each neck). If original, the date codes on the volume/tone/blender pots can give at least a "no older than" date - although Fender bought pots in huge numbers and so used the same dates for years.

There are other clues to its age including the type of selecter switch, tuner buttons, case (if original), logo and colour so please post pictures.

The fact that it has a blender knob for each neck tells us that it is not one of the very earliest (long scale) Stringmasters and so is no older than 1955 and so is either medium (24.5") or short (22.5") scale.

Regarding the blender knob - do you mean the shaft of the pot spins round and round or the wheel attached to the pot spins but the pot itself is OK? Maybe the blender pot is faulty and that is why there's a problem with the middle neck. Worst case scenario, one or both of the pickups may need to be rewound but the good news is that this is all fixable by someone who know what they are doing. The blender pot is just a regular volume/tone pot so easily obtainable.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2017 6:25 am    

Quote:
And where to find a replacement blender piece?

If it's the blender knob you're looking for, our friend the eBay scavenger has one for sale...

-----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-1950s-Fender-Stringmaster-lap-steel-part-wheel-blend-/352094486953?

Nicky North

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2017 6:57 pm    

I don't think just this part will do it. Refer to pictures. The part in your picture is only part of it. It looks like that gear looking part attaches to a post that goes down into and then attaches to something inside a hole. I am to pull that piece up and straightout. Inserted into the hole it just spins freely. Refer to pictures.

Thanks, Walt North

Nicky North

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2017 7:26 pm    

I came across this in a local music by chance. I tried it out in the store and except for weak volume on the middle neck worked fine. The store owner said somebody found in their grand dads closet. The first picture is as I brought it home and couldn't wait to set it up and try a few songs.

Following that are pictures as I took the tuning pans off.

I found a serial number by the blender - 4896.

Under each tuner pan I found some old masking tape with the number "5".

Pictures attached.

And just because I'm proud of it. Also attached are pictures of the magnatone steel my mom was given when she was 10 in 1949. I have it and the matching magnatone amp. It sounds great. I have the bracket that goes over the pickup but when it is on the string length is too small.

Nicky North

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2017 7:47 pm    

If it helps any with dating here is the case.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 9:41 am    

With that case and plate logo, I'd guess 1970's.

It appears that your middle neck "blend pot" is a serious piece of costume jewelry. It looks like someone too =k out the original pot, replaced the hole with an input plug (unattached?) and then made the knob & stem for cosmetic reasons. The actual circuit should have a regular potentiometer like a volume pot in that hole.

Nicky North

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 5:36 pm    

One step at a time. I got the plate off and here is what I find. I'm not an electronics person so bear with me. It looks to me like what has happened is that the shaft of the pot has snapped inside the pot.

So I probably need at least that. Part of the numbers on the bottom are covered by solder but here are the numbers I can see (* for unreadable).

250K AU* 30* 6612 01*

I assume I should try replacing the pot to see if that solves the volume issue on the middle neck? Before looking into getting pickups rewound?

Is there anything in particular I should be watching for on the pot?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Nicky North

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 7:29 pm    

On closer examination with a magnifying glass the pot number looks like:

250K AUD 304 6612 01*

solder currently covers the part of 01 though the 3rd might be an F. If I have time this weekend I may try to remove the solder.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 8:35 pm    

250k ohm, audio taper pot. I've never seen one where the shaft mounts like that.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 11:05 am    

I would replace the pot first and see if that is the problem. It can vary the tone quite a bit and that could be why it sounds so low in volume.
Here's a cheep fix on ebay. You can look for a proper vintage one later if it works.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Pure-Vintage-250K-Solid-Shaft-Potentiometer/263011673791

Nicky North

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 12:38 pm    

Thank you. Ordered - looks like it will take a week to get here so it will be a while before I can try it out.

In the mean time - two more questions.

Based on the numbers on the current pot and what I could find with google searches.

250K AUD 304 6612 01(something)

304 seems to be the code for Stackpole and 6612 looks to decode to twelfth week of 1966? Could this be a reasonable clue to the approximate date of the guitar?

Any idea of the foil below the pickups serves a purpose?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 6:12 am    

This could be a 60s guitar with that case. Look at the tuning machines; if they have a Fender "F" on the cover protecting the worm gear, it's probably a '70s guitar.

Nice horn, regardless of the vintage. Stringmasters didn't change much.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 6:51 am    

Nicky North wrote:

304 seems to be the code for Stackpole and 6612 looks to decode to twelfth week of 1966? Could this be a reasonable clue to the approximate date of the guitar?

Any idea of the foil below the pickups serves a purpose?

Those pots really just give you a "no earlier than" date - Fender probably bought a huge batch of pots in 1966 and continued to use them for a good few years until they were all used up. In fact, because they tended to keep parts in huge bins and top them up when they got low, older parts could end up unused at the bottom of the bin for ages.

My guess was 60s based on the case. On Strats and Teles, the shape of the tuner buttons changed from smooth oval to more of a hexagonal shape with the covers branded with an F (see picture) - not sure when this happened on the steels but definitely by the 70s this was the case. I think they did actually use individual guitar tuners instead of the 4 on a strip when they moved to the F tuners.

Also, I'm not sure when the lettering style on the name plate changed but I think it was before the 70's.

As far as Stringmasters are concerned, the age seems to make no difference to price (although personally, I'm happy to own 50s ones).

And the foil is for electrical screening. A lot of Stringmasters have it and many players added it if it wasn't there. Not sure if or when Fender made the shielding standard.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 8:39 am    

Don't mess with the tin-foil shielding, you're going to need it!
If this info on logos is correct, you guitar is probably a '66.

Nicky North

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2017 12:04 pm    

Thank you! It's fun tracking down these details.

So - based on the case logo this looks like 66. That jives with the pot coding and some information I found on the tuner housings.

Based on all this and that I found masking tape with "5" under the tuning pans - would it be safe to assume the guitar body may have made in 65 and the rest of the parts added in 66? Not that it matters - I plan on keeping this anyway - but now it's a curiosity matter while I wait for the pot to show to see if that fixes the volume on the middle neck. If the pot fixes - should I try to track down a vintage pot just for my own satisfaction?

I found the words "KLUSON DELUX" on the tuner housings.
Research led me to here:
http://www.guitarhq.com/kluson.html
with this comment.
1964-1969:
"Kluson Deluxe" is in two vertical lines on the tuner housing. These are known as "double line" Klusons, where the prior pre-1964 variant is known as "single line" Klusons. Below is a picture of these 1964-1969 style Kluson tuners with double line "Kluson Deluxe" and metal buttons.

Also I have a general electronics question. I only see one white wire going from the switch to the pot and to the pickups. I only see black wires coming back to the pot but no black wires back to ground anywhere. So I'm thinking ground must come into play somewhere here from the pot? - but I don't see it.

Attached are pictures of all the logos I found

This is fun enough I may try doing to the same thing with my mothers old Magnatone steel guitar she got about 1949. I have the matching Magnatone amp that went with it so I'll see if that gives me any clues.

And an old Stratocaster I got from my brother that he got in 68 - but I'm not sure of the manufacture date but I'm sure it was within a couple of years.

[url][/url]