The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scale Length Question
Virgil Franklin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 5:07 am    

Potentially a dumb question warning: (I have 2 Stringmasters with 26" scale lengths)

1.) What are the benefits of a longer scale length?

2.) What are the draw-backs of a longer scale length?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 5:19 am    

Benefit:
-- superb sustain, superb tone

Drawback:
-- it takes more extreme angle to achieve bar slants
-- lacks the traditional pickup balance wheel (but has 'balance' built into the tone circuit)
-- needs care to get a high G on a C6 tuning (but it can be done)

I just sold my 1954 26" Stringmaster and it was a great, great sounding guitar. People will respond that they have no problem getting bar slants with the long scale and people will respond that they have no lack of sustain on the shorter scales. So there you go.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 5:39 am    

I prefer the sound of a shorter-scale steel, but that's just subjective. I find slanting easier on longer-scale steels because your intonation doesn't have to be as precise.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 1:06 pm    

The longer scale makes setting up a baritone tuning "better" as you can use thicker strings. YMMV.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2024 4:42 am    

The benefits of the long 26” scale to me are if you are playing tunings with lots big strummable chords and heavy bass strings - they excel at this undisputedly

I am a 22” scale player because they are just more fun to play and scoot around on - and I’m not using bass strings very often- I could play @90% of what I do on 5 strings
When I got my first ric b6 (22” scale) it was a revelation over the 25” I had been playing- everything except the lush full chords was better

For me - I will play / think a long scale totally different from a short scale - one I tend to play more vertical in set positions with a straight bar and the other I’m horizontal scooting all over the range staying mainly on 4/5 strings using every bar manipulation trick possible

Mike Christensen

Cook Minnesota
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2024 4:29 am     scale length

Have had many different kinds of lap steels. I see it as a personal thing. Some have said they feel cramped on a short scale. I am now playing A Gibson BR2 and two Rics with another Gibson BR6 arriving today. All are short scale,all are full of tone and all have more sustain than you would ever need. I would not turn down a sweet guitar deal because of scale length. Jam on.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2024 7:12 am    

Another benefit is that harmonics jump out easier on longer scale guitars!