The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Single coil pickups...
Ray Frady

Rittman, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 5:31 pm    

Is there anyone currently making single coil pickups? I was wondering if anyone was going to carry on Truetone?

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 5:53 pm    

I don't believe anyone picked up where Mr Wallace left off, unfortunately. My search for pickups after his passing turned up nothing.

I know Mullen still make thier own single coils, I have a wide mount 10 string in my Justice. I never heard a True Tone to compare it to, but Im very pleased with the tone from my Mullen pickup.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 6:02 pm    

The Steeltronics Z series pickup just released by Scott Swartz is a single coil design, modeled after the original ZB Custom pickups.

Nicholas Cox

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 7:25 pm     Custom pickup

I had a 12-string pickup made custom for my MSA by Jerry Sentell in CA. He does all sorts of steel guitar pickups. You can check him out by doing a google search for Sentell Pickups.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 8:20 pm    

Excel makes single coils for their steels.
I think the major pickup companies make steel pickups. You could inquire with Lollar, Duncan, Frailin.
John

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 1:51 am    

I spoke with a friend of mine earlier who has a Mullen R.P. and he said the Mullen single coil pickups sound great...They've been building pickups for a long time.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 9:56 am    

Mullen Pickups are a great pickup. Check out Boo Miller playing with a single coil on a Mullen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urbUABoWHxE

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 7:14 am    

Scott Swartz has a winner of a single coil pickup. Put one in my U-12 keyed Williams and ordered another for my U-12 Williams keylesss.

Last edited by Len Amaral on 7 Aug 2020 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tommy Cass

Baldwinville, Ma. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 10:44 am    

I would like to acknowledge the fine work Scott Swartz did on a pickup rewind I recently received from him.
I put it in a P/P and it sounds great.
Thanks, Scott

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 11:04 am    

+1 for Scott Swartz. His knowledge of resistance and inductance beyond just DC ratings and Ohms is unmatched on making the proper single coil. I replaced the humbuckers in my main studio guitar with his ZB dual-row magnet single coil pickup and I've never been so thrilled with my sound before. It gives a more accurate, honest representation of my guitar and amp. Plus it sits better in a band mix(humbuckers were too dark and compressed. Scott's pickups are more mixable and poke the steel out better when compressed and EQ'd by the mix engineer.) It hums as much as a 705(virtually non existent!) Here's a Randy Houser overdub I did at the house with Scott's pickups, Little Walter 89, and PF 350. Flat with no EQ or compression.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Steeltronics%20Z10?preview=Randy+Houser+overdub.MP4

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2020 2:28 am    

For some reason I forgot to mention Scott Swartz's pickup as a single coil,I've been playing guitars since I was a kid ,and still associate single coil with a loud 60cycle hum...My Bad,Still hard for me to believe that a single coil pickup is completely quiet...it's like some kinda "Magic trick!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2020 2:46 pm    

Thanks guys, and if the link above of Eddy's is not opening for you, try this one he sent me a few days ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0j2cv7v1shroiq/Randy%20Houser%20overdub.MP4?dl=0

Some clean fast picking and interesting melodic ideas going on for sure.

Thomas Stone

San Francisco
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 8:34 pm    

Doug Earnest puts a single coil pickup as standard equipment in the Zumsteel Encore, and probably the Stage One as well. Not sure where he gets them, but he'd probably tell you.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2020 5:15 am    

Thomas Stone, that is not exactly correct. Humbucking pickup is standard equipment. TrueTone single coil was also offered at no extra charge. I still have a few of them.

Thomas Stone

San Francisco
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2020 8:08 pm    

Oops, sorry, my misunderstanding Embarassed