The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wanting to build another rack
Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 9:51 pm    

I'm wanting to experiment with building a rack unit for recording and live shows. I'm up for opinions on preamp, effects etc. I already have a rack with a Revelation preamp and a tc m350, just looking for something a little different. I'm looking at power amps also, any suggestions? What are you using?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 5:14 am    

A Telonics based system will give you an excellent DI interface for recording while also providing a host of other unique features including and extremely low noise floor. I have the Telonics combo amp but you can buy other form factors from Telonics!

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Amp/Telonics%20Amp.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 9:16 am    

Thanks Greg, I just checked into the Telonics preamp. Do you know what the price of those units are by any chance? I couldn't find it listed on their site. But it has a lot of nice features that I'd love to have.

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 9:28 am    

I enjoyed using the Walker Stereo Steel very much. I really only moved away from it on the road, because my rig had gotten too complex.

Stereo Steel Pre
Lexicon MX-200
2 - Nashville 112 Combo Amps (power amp in)

Solid State, but I still like a lot of that anyway.

Best of luck,

David Spires

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 12:16 pm    

I have the Walker Stereo Steel and the Telonics set up side by side in my home studio now. Both are awesome. The Telonics excels in features (there are many that are unique to Telonics) , low noise, DI output and the Walker excels in providing amplified stereo. Of course with a rack unit you could configure it many different ways.

Call Dave Beatty at Telonics to discuss pricing and configuration!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 12:43 pm    

I have no advice to offer in regards to rack components. I have pretty pedestrian tastes. My steel rack is a Lexicon MX200 creating a stereo effect split into a DBX 215 stereo graphic EQ that feed a pair of NV400s. I didn't really need the EQs but It was sitting around not being used since I went to IEMs in my keyboard rig so I stuck it in my steel rack. But I leave the steel rack at home and only take one NV400 out of the house. At home stereo sound great though.

But what I do recommend is a company out of Connecticut called Redco Audio. I buy parts from them to build my patch panels I use to create all the input and output jacks on the from of my racks. All my rack gear is hooked up internally all I need to do is plug the inputs and output on the front. I don't want to have to dig around the back trying to plug things in. My eyesight becomes an issue especially in low light situations. Here is my keyboard rack I'm currently using. All I do is plug in my keyboard snake and DI outputs to the front of the rack and I'm good to go. Inside the rack are my DIs, my In-ear Monitors Transmitter, a Neo Ventilator Leslie simulator, and a 10 channel Line mixer. All the I/O is on that front strip.

Redco also did the labels I use. Now they will just etch the panels for you if you know the jacks will never change. If you want to put together something like this Chris Stubbs at Redco Audio will help with choosing the parts. The jacks are just double female pass-throughs. Redco sells stuff that makes gigging easier.

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 10:25 am    

Thank you all for the help! Another question real quick. I purchased the Stereo Steel preamp and the Presonus Studio Channel preamp, based on recommendations from Eddie Long. I have the Presonus already but the Stereo Steel will be here in a week or so. Im going to test the 2 out and see which one i like best for my needs. Now my question, how in the world do I hook up a power amp? I'm looking at the Crown Xti 1002, I can get a new one from a friend of mine at guitar center for $399 and I believe it's a pretty decent unit for the price. Again though, I'm up for suggestions. Thanks again guys!

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 3:21 pm    

Another big "ditto" on the Telonics units for a rack system ...I have been using the PA4200 stereo power amp paired with the PRE1000 preamp for several years and there is nothing better IMO ... the Pre has 2 channels as well if you double on another instrument - the Direct Outs are also awesome for recording too - totally noiseless and wonderful sounding.

Well worth a look - a quick email to Sophie@telonics.com will get you the pricing for each unit.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 4:16 pm    

Austin Tripp wrote:
Thank you all for the help! Another question real quick. I purchased the Stereo Steel preamp and the Presonus Studio Channel preamp, based on recommendations from Eddie Long. I have the Presonus already but the Stereo Steel will be here in a week or so. Im going to test the 2 out and see which one i like best for my needs. Now my question, how in the world do I hook up a power amp? I'm looking at the Crown Xti 1002, I can get a new one from a friend of mine at guitar center for $399 and I believe it's a pretty decent unit for the price. Again though, I'm up for suggestions. Thanks again guys!

Austin, I use the Crown XLS 1002 with my Revelation, in fact Brad recommended it... and a Lexicon MPX 1... I like it a lot... Though I don’t need that much power, I got it right?, I thought I paid about 300 bucks for mine, but I could be misremembering... it is very quiet... I’m running all that into 1 Shallow Basket BW and 1 Eminence EPS 15, if I got that number right... I think it sounds great.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com