The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro Pickup placement - is this correct?
Rick Lee

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 12:49 pm    

I'm currently selling several instruments/amps in an estate sale.(I play guitar, bass and a very little lap steel) I have a very nice dobro, square neck, that has an aftermarket pickup added. The Jack was mounted in the treble side waist of the instrument, and the contact pickup glued to the base side waist. See photos. It sounds horrible and does nothing but feedback. If this is not where the pickup belongs, where does it go and how do I get it off the side? thanks so much. BTW what is a reasonable price for this instrument and good HS case.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 3:48 am    

Some resonator guitar pickups resemble a large washer and are designed to be mounted on the underside of the cone utilizing a longer than standard tension adjustment screw (in case you are unfamiliar; I am referring to the small slotted screw that is situated between the wood inserts located on the bridge top, there is normally a hole in the cover plate that provides access). I have a 'Schatten' pickup installed in my Dobro and can achieve a fairly respectable volume level before any feed back problems occur. This method may produce a more acoustic sounding tone as well..FWIW: My recommendation would be to remount the pickup to the top of the guitar. While it may or may not result in an improvement, could not imagine it proving any worse than being in its current location.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 5:27 am    

If that's an original McIntyre it was designed to be mounted on the underside of the spider with a silicon putty.

It wasn't a great pickup but the placement shown would be wrong.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 12:10 pm    

Howard..Had considered that mounting suggestion but thought that the cone vibrations would eventually result in the pickup becoming dislodged.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 1:29 pm    

I can't say that I recall a pickup dislodging. I dealt with a lot of them.

I'd note that this topic would be better placed in the non-pedal section or electronics.

h

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 4:33 am    

Just food for thought - the Fishman Nashville Series pickup that replaces the bridge, along with a Jerry Douglas Aura is the best there is (real tone / very feedback resistant).

If you end up wanting to try a new solution...

Best of Luck,

David Spires

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 8:20 am    

Moved to Steel Without Pedals.

If you can post photos of the whole instrument we might be able to give you a guesstimate on its value. The pickup as currently installed is useless, unless you're planning on playing the instrument as a drum.