The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA no more heavy!!!!
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 8:17 am    

$225.00 SKB case with wheels....light as a feather, add some foam, 32lbs total with guitar (pedal rack and legs go in a guitar bag)
MSA guitars are not heavy, the wooden cases are, I think my wooden case was 40lbs, the SKB 12lbs.

Last edited by Larry Bressington on 20 Jun 2017 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 8:36 am    

Was that built for your guitar? Looks nice. I would like to check into something like that for my Carter D10. My guitar is getting too heavy for me. Bad back. I am at the point of having to quit gigging. Even with a hand truck is tough. I have five stairs to climb to get in my house.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 8:42 am    

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391408757158

Right on your doorstep Rich.....Take measurements, my MSA is an SS but you should be fine, it's a 36 inch case.

Jim Norman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 12:40 pm    

Where did you find the foam? Does the case as it comes have any interior padding? Looking for something for an S-10. This may be wider than needed, but should be able to pad it out, I think.

Thanks.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 1:25 pm    

Foam on ebay or walmart, you might check for a smaller case, however i was able to dangle this one on my middle finger in the air, and i'm a whimpy guy....No interior padding, click on the ebay link for further detail.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 3:25 pm    

I've been using one of these as my fly case for my Zum D10's for years ....one small hint for ya Larry -- the axles for the handles are a carbon/poly type material and don't hold up ...I replaced my handle axles with stainless steel bolts with nylock nuts on the end and they hold up a treat !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 5:55 pm    

Thanks for heads up Paddy, I shall scrutinise that and go after that, sounds like a simple fix.

As far as the foam goes friends, I actually used some 2 inch thick memory foam, you can find it on eBay under mattress toppers because that's what this was.

I then glued the foam in with car interior fabric glue made by 3M, comes in a spray can $15.00

I intend to dress the edges abit now that's it's dried good.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 9:34 pm    

Larry, that's a beautiful solution! Good for you!

Richard... DUDE, DON'T STOP GIGGING. Lighten your load my friend. My Carter SD-10 was 58+ lbs. in the hard case. I bought two 49-key soft keyboard cases from Guitar Center ($39 ea.). I cut some styrofoam blocks to support the guitar body, added some pieces of 2" dense foam from Joanne's Fabrics. The guitar in it's case is 22 pounds. Your D-10 should be around 25 lbs. The pedal rack, legs and rods pack into the second case, about 16 pounds. Not as durable as Larry's SKB, but perfectly good protection for transport in the car to rehearsals and local gigs.

I will never go back to the back-breaking single case. Split 'em up, it's the way to go.

Last edited by Dan Robinson on 21 Jun 2017 9:06 am; edited 3 times in total

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 5:27 am    

I would like to get my hands on one of the last old MSA SS and make a SD out of it. I always thought they had a great sound. A friend of mine, passed on now, had a single neck SS. It was a great guitar but I was to tall to get under it. Should of bought it anyway for old time sake.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 5:30 am    

Thank you Bill, One of my faves of all time, super smoother action, looks gorgeous and not heavy at all being loafered.