The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Broadway revue . . with steel!
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 11:29 am    

I have been playing our community college's "Hello, Broadway" revue for several years--usually on guitar.

This year, we are doing some tunes from Steve Martin's "Bright Star," so we've hired a banjo player (It's OK: he can read music!) And I'll be shifting over to steel for those numbers, like "Whoa, Mama" and "If You Knew My Story."

I am running out of a Cube, and miking the amp to the house.

These shows are slightly nerve-wracking . . . but fun!

Chris

Harry Teachman

South Dartmouth,Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 4:32 pm    

Good on you Chris, for getting the steel guitar into a different venue. Keep up the good work !!!!!!

Looking at your op date, I'm kinda surprised that no one has posted, given the amount of past threads about the demise of the steel in music........

Harry

manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 4:21 am    

Hi Harry, you are right about "the demise of the steel guitar". Chris, I`ll have to call you to get more info. You do so much.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 6:42 am    

Thanks, Harry, Manny. It's an opportunity to introduce the steel to others, too. I hope a few audience members will come up after the show to see the instrument close up (1999 Carter SD 12, with 5 and 6).

And our bass player sat plucking it after rehearsal two nights ago, utterly intrigued.

OK. . . matinee at 2.00 today, evening show at 8:00! Yee haw!

Chris

Harry Teachman

South Dartmouth,Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 1:37 pm    

There ya go, future steel player !!!!!!
It's amazing to see how many people still don't know what a steel guitar is.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 3:09 pm    

>people still don't know what a steel guitar is.

Right. But they are intrigued.

Well, I just played the opening show. Here are some aspects of this particular gig that you guys might be interested in.

1. Lack of space. I have my steel, Tama drum throne, and guitar-on-stand just barely fitting on my riser. Sax is in back, in fact, with its stand on the floor. Music stand and light have to fit on the riser also.

2. I am using my Moyo pedal because of its small size and minimal wiring. But its response differs from that of my Hilton.

3. Conductor is at the piano--with her back to me! So we have to keep a sharp eye out for her head and hand movements for cues, intros, and cut-offs.

4. Sound is always a compromise. I am using my Roland Cube, unmiked because there simply aren't that many mikes to go around. (The cast needs 27!) The Roland, though, seems to project well.

5. Another challenge is that at one point I go from guitar to steel. Since the Roland has only 1 input, I switch off the Roland, unplug the guitar, plug into the Moyo, and turn on the Roland! Fortunately there is some dialogue to give me time.

So these are challenges. But having 30 or 40 people come together to put on the revue is very gratifying. Our young actors have been doing great.

OK, time for the 8.00 show!

Chris