The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Dream" my tab for C6th-would like some harmony help plse
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 6:14 pm    

I have long loved this tune...one of my favorite versions was on an old Harold Bradley lp "Guitar for Lovers" that I bought years ago and learned his version on 6 string guitar. This version on steel guitar is based "loosely" on an arrangement I did on C6th pedal, before I saw Herby Wallaces great tab of it.

I would like some help on the measure with "?" marks, but anywhere you see where I could add some harmony would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and again I apologize for the crudeness of the tab done by hand. Key of Bb

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 4:57 am    

Sounds like Charlie Chaplin's tune "Smile". Who wrote it and what are the melody notes? It did't come up with a quick Google search so here are some G7 and Bbmaj7 positions in C6th ...

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 6:09 am    

Andy, It's the old Johnny Mercer tune from the 40's. Great song, btw, done by everybody from Dinah Washington, Sinatra, Nat King Cole, the Pied Pipers to Michael Buble.

I only found one version of it in Bb on youtube. Well, two counting the Manhattan Jazz orchestra, the other is from the Four Aces but that's more of a doo-wop version. Here's a link to that if it's any help. I'm not too good at tabbing things out on the 'puter though. Good luck with it Larry. Bet it sounds great on C6th. https://youtu.be/-rS97J4KkR8

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 8:18 am    

Andy thanks for that chart..that should help me a lot ! I do have your book "Exploring C6th Lap Steel"...I need to study it harder, don't I ? Sad I will do that for sure ! You are right it is kinda like Smile by Mr Chaplin.

Jerry, thanks for the information about this great old song...It is on Herby's Mr Wallace and Company...I dont know how to make a link to it or I would do so. I couldnt find Herby doing it on youtube.

I need to figure out how to put it on a drop box so I could link it that way.

Thanks for your help !!
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 8:52 am    

Thanks, Jerry. I can place it now. Smile and ... good luck with your arrangement, Larry. Nice old tune!