The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian Leisure Hour YouTube Archive
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 10:37 am    

FYI .....Here's another great collection I just stumbled over: Hawaiian Leisure Hour;
a collection of Hawaiian steel music featuring an amazing 444 videos linked.

I have barely scratched the surface but it seems there are lots of 50s, 60s, 70s bachelor-pad-era Hawaiian music from obscure players but also cool music from excellent steelers like Benny Rogers, Barney Isaacs and Dick Sanft, whom I interviewed for a fretboard journal article but never heard play. He's great! Explore!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1M9XkvGNoGqBQNY3lgHa6BtmxQa1ABt2

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 2:03 pm    

What a great resource to explore for non-standard repertoire. I wonder who the collector is. I am guessing someone not entirely unknown to the Hawaiian music crowd.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 2:07 pm    

Very cool, Andy - that should provide music for a lot of "leisure hours"

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 4:05 pm    

Wow! I'll be doing a lot of listening on that site. It's interesting to hear all the different takes on the classics. I especially like the Exotica, like Andy Bono playing The Enchanted Sea and Thunderball!

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 11:38 am    

Thanks, Andy. A great site to bookmark.

C. E. Very Happy
A6 tuning for steels

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 12:40 pm    

Smile There's a fair amount of dreck there but there are also some real gems. Phil Corso - what a swinging player. Dick Sanft - great touch and tone. Some Barney Isaacs cuts that must have been a Japan-only release and this Jerry Byrd tune in C Diatonic that was new to me. It has a sweet, early 60s pop feel that reminds me of songs like Debbie Reynolds Tammy.

Jerry Byrd - Chime In
http://tinyurl.com/y7auksvy

Later that day ... wait! I see it's attributed to Kayton Roberts. So, Byrd or Roberts?

and a bunch of days later ... it's in C6th A7.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 20 Jun 2017 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 8:33 pm    

Andy, regarding Phil Corso... when I started playing pedal steel in bands in the early 1970s here in western Mass, an older bass player I worked with used to talk about Phil Corso a lot. He said he played at Riverside Park in the house band with a steel player named Phil Corso in the late 50s and early 60s. It must be the same guy. He said Phil was a real good player. He showed me a picture of him once. Phil was playing a Fender pedal steel and he was wearing a fancy suit, like a Mexican suit and hat, and he had a pencil thin mustache! He looked like a real character. I'm glad I finally got to hear him on Youtube, if indeed it is the same guy. By the way, I ended up playing that house gig at Riverside Park in the summer of 1993. Five days a week all summer. It became Six Flags a couple of years later.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 2:50 am    

Interesting! Thanks for the info Doug. And ... it's really hard to see, even in blown-up view, but Chime In is attributed on Byrd's Admirable Byrd LP to BOTH Jerry and Kayton! What's the story behind that? I thought I heard his diatonic tuning but that record is famous for him using his non-pedal E9th to rival pedal sounds. I'll have to try writing it out.

Steve Marinak

Man O War Cay, Abaco, Bahamas
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 3:26 am    

Excellent find! Thank you for posting.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 11:22 am    

Quote:
Chime In is attributed on Byrd's Admirable Byrd LP to BOTH Jerry and Kayton!

Evidently Kayton had a hand in writing the tune and Jerry gave him credit. Chet Atkins wrote the liner notes and he said all but three songs on the album are played on the old E7 tuning. I always heard that Jerry played E9 on this record. Or maybe it was E7, and the record was Jerry's answer to the upstart (at that time) E9 pedal steel guitar.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 6:06 pm    

I read somewhere on the web Jerry used (hi to low) E B G# F# E D B G# on this record ...but I haven't really listened to this LP so no opinion on my part other than Chime In seems playable on either C6th/A7 or C Diatonic. So it might be the one outlier from E13th. I believe he was indeed trying to show that he could make most of the pedal sounds via his technical hand skills that others used knee levers and pedals to accomplish.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 8:01 pm    

Chet Akins wrote the liner notes (below) and he says that Jerry's playing "the old E7th tuning" ...but I think Chet may have mixed up E7 with E9, dare I say! Winking Jerry plays a lot of major chord sounds on this record, probably due to the full major chord on the top 3 strings. It's not his usual "C6 sound", but it's beautiful stuff!

Chet's notes:

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 10:13 am     Treasure Trove

What other time capsule troves remain for Andy to open up a vault and uncover? Hard to resist threading thru...A South Sea flavor treat, like walking into Cliftons Cafeteria, downtown LA, 1950-60. Isle of YOU. Andy..and so do we all! 😎

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 2:10 pm    

If you have the time and the patience to go through this list, there is some good stuff, but much of it is just plain painful audio. Who the hell thought the organ was evocative of the South Seas? You can tell why Hawaiian music got such a bad rap with young people in the Rock and Roll years. Another strange development in those years was the dreadful guitar tone. They had it all figured out in the 1940s and 15 years later the tone is thin and whiny, and that is from players who have obviously put a lot of time in to the genre.

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 3:18 pm    

David, you asked who is the person responsible for "The Hawaiian Leisure Hour" youtube site, here he is. John Charles Watson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFzewrlGjrw

And a second youtube channel called Kaiwaza

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGYUkV5NiLqHn4yPG9RcwjA

He is also on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/HawaiianLeisureHour/

https://www.facebook.com/john.c.watson.31