The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lots of Electronic Gear choices out there for Steel
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 10:23 am    

I was just looking at Eminence's web site at the signature series speakers. At least 4 choices there for steel not including the Milkman by Eminence speaker which Tim sells on his site.

And lots of other good choices in both 12 and 15 inch drivers including Peavey's Black Widow models.

I don't know if there have ever been so many amp choices either. There's a bunch of them like the new production Peavey's [who's been catering to the niche steel guitar community since the 70's] 115 and RR amps, the Nashville 112 then all the way through several boutique amp models including the Little Walter all tube amps. Everything from crappy Whoa! digital class D stuff [sorry guys, go ahead and hammer on me Winking] to glorious tube powered bliss.

And don't forget the pickup choices.

Oughta be something out there to satisfy nearly everyone's need.

The bottom line is that when you are hearing what you want to hear, it gives you more joy and makes you play better.

In some ways I'm glad I'm pretty much broke and don't have the resources to sample all this new gear. If there's a void, it's a lack of a 2 channel switching amp model for people like me that want a sweet and clean steel amp and also another channel to preset grind, eq's, etc. for straight guitar, laps and slides. That's the reason I keep using my old Tubeworks rack rig with a recently found old Boss 2 channel analog preamp. Guess that will carry me to my grave or send me to my grave packing it Exclamation.

I don't know who's buying it all, but despite what I hear from people concerning the demise of steel guitar there sure seems to be a lot of activity in the steel guitar equipment market right now...that's good. Enjoy. Very Happy

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 10:52 am    

as a builder of steel guitar equipment, I can say that the instrument is not in decline.

Lots of new young players coming to the instrument, and the choice of equipment gets them very excited.

Here in SF, there are more steel guitar players than I can count. Its a great time for pedal steel!
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 1:22 pm     Steel Guitar Instruments

I agree.

http://peavey.com/products/pedal-steel-amplifiers.cfm#series-1