The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cannabis Rex vs Travis Toy Speaker
Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 1:42 pm    

Curious if anyone has compared the C-Rex speaker from Eminence with the new Travis Toy speaker.

I just got a new cab I intend to use for gigging and had the C-Rex on hand. I had planned to grab the TT (it's both light and seems to be a hit), but I compared the eq charts between the two and they seemed somewhat similar.

Hoping that someone here might have experience with both and willing to shed some light. Thanks!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 1:57 pm    

The sites (e.g. Musician's Friend) that carry the C-Rex show it as a 50 watt speaker for guitar. The TT-12 is 300 watts and designed for Pedal Steel.

I have a TT-12. I tried the Eminence EPS-12C which is also designed for Pedal Steel and the TT-12 is a big improvement over the EPS-12C. The EPS-12C is more suited for lead guitar than steel. The TT-12 shines on E9th.

Josh Braun

Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 2:02 pm    

Excellent! I actually just decided to buy the TT a few minutes ago (somewhat based on your reviews - and Travis's posts, both of which were pretty informative).

You're totally right about the 50 watt designation on the CRex. That's one reason I was planning on using a different speaker no matter what. Can't wait to hear how the TT sounds in my rig. If it's at least as pleasing as the CRex I had lying around I'll be quite happy.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 2:09 pm    

I don't know. The C-Rex sounds way more midrange rich than the Double T 12. Travis Toy speaker should have a lot more fall off from the high end. I tried playing steel with my 65 Twin that had a pair of Patriots loaded in it ( one Screaming Eagle and one Red, White and Blues) I hated them they were way too mid range rich.

I think C-Rex's extra 700hz of of upper usable range would make a big difference.(4,500 Hz vs 3,800Hz) I would much rather have the Double Ts 12.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 2:09 pm    

The TT-12 will have a break in period. I've been using mine for a month (twice a week) and I noticed this past Monday evening it sounded a little "sweeter".

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 5:12 am    

After looking at and reading about eq charts about speakers on the forum I made comparisons and came to the conclusion that they are not the whole story. Speakers that looks the same on paper do not sound the same.

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 8:06 am    

Essential viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOwUlOjwnW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN2yupYmm94 (4 parts)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sFVbgU3TqE

The first is Toy Travis talking about his own speaker. the second group is Joni from Finland (great player!) comparing Toys speaker. The third is Paul Franklin on his speaker.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 4:52 am    

I find the 'Cannabis Rex' speaker difficult to beat in a low wattage amp. Purchased the Roland Blues Cube 'Hot' a few months ago and could not achieve a satisfactory steel tone until the stock speaker was replaced with the Eminence CR (found it necessary to remove the chassis to perform the upgrade). This has since become my go to unit for any jobs where the amps are mic'ed through the board. Simply could not justify installing a $200.00+ speaker with a handling capacity of 300 watts into an amp capable of producing only 35 (although a very loud 35 I might add!)..FYI: I chose the 'Hot' due to it being the only single channel model available in the series and so far it has proved itself up to the task.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2017 1:19 am    

For me, I found the CR Emmi too strong in the mids compared to other speakers I have used. It may be fine in certain amps but in the N112 , for me, it got more muddy rather than LESS muddy. I had in two different amps as well as a 1x12 cab. Certainly clean tone just too strong in the mids for my taste.

The speaker that brightened up the N112 world, for me, was the stock Fender Gold Label 12", which is also an Emmi. It can tend to be harsh so the Presence control can be left at zero ( full left) but the mids are way better.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Josh Braun

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 10:32 am    

Just wanted to update this thread and give my impressions of the Travis Toy speaker!

Got my TT speaker about a week ago - popped in in a lovely new cab from Ear Fuzz Effects. Really cool combo. Been playing through a Quilter Pro Block 200 with my Williams 700 (BL 705 reissue pickup). I initially intended to use the Pro Block and the TT for my "super light/portable" rig, but I'm still waiting for my lightweight cab to be delivered.

I'm glad I didn't wait to install the speaker. I really dig the sound. It's a definite improvement over the C-Rex for steel. In comparison to my Steelaire combo (with stock 15" speaker), I'd have to say I like the TT better at the moment (though I don't dislike the stock Steelaire at all - in fact, it can sound downright great). Makes me wonder if I should install a 12" baffle in the Quilter...

The TT has a definite sound that screams "pedal steel" imho. I don't know how to characterize it in sonic terms, but it really is quite pleasing and just sounds "right."

Anyhow, now I have to decide what speaker to put in my "ultra-lite" cab once it gets completed. I had intended to possibly use the Telonics 12" to provide some variety. But the TT is really hooking me at the moment - it'll be tough to decide.

And thanks everyone for your opinions and experiences in this thread!

Last edited by Josh Braun on 23 Jun 2017 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 11:02 am    

The TT speaker has become my favorite speaker, even for guitar. When I play my Tele through it, it cuts off the ice pick highs, retaining a nice rich upper midrange punch.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2017 7:12 pm    

I bought a Cannabis Rex a few months ago.
I have never warmed up to it.
I much prefer the Weber speakers of similar wattage.
Maybe I have not broken in the cannabis enough.
Lefty

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 10:23 am    

Is there a 4-ohm version of the TT speaker?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 10:47 am    

Only the one impedance (maybe they will issue a 4 ohm later?)

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 11:32 am     TT Speaker

Before I put the TT-12 speaker in my Nash. 112 I was concerned about losing power because the speaker is 8 oms. If anything, the TT speaker is louder then the original, [more efficient,] and sounds great.

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 6:40 pm    

Josh, if you're consiering putting the Double T-12 into your Quilter Steelaire, you can always go this route, rather than changing your whole baffle: http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/BaffleConverters_x/Baffle-Converter-for-15-to-12

I put one in my 15" cab for this same speaker.

MB

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 4:43 am    

After re-reading the initial post by Travis Toy regarding the introduction of his signature speaker; He stated that due to the fact that a 4 ohm version may develop different tonal characteristics, he would need to perform further research to make certain that the two versions be identical in sound. He further stated that at the present time and for that reason, the unit will only be offered in a 12", 8 ohm version..Interestingly enough, the new Paul Franklin speaker is presently available only in an 8 ohm as well.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 5:50 am    

From what I've seen both Paul and Travis are using Little Walter tube amps. They may be 8 ohm outputs and thus the reason for 8 ohm speakers.