The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lever tuning issues with my new Sho Bud LDG
Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 8:19 am    

Hey there, this is my first time posting on the Steel Forum but I've been a long time reader. The tabs and info have been invaluable!

I just bought a 1979 Sho Bud LDG from a very nice gentleman from this forum and the guitar looks and sounds great. However, the right levers were a little too close to my leg and I was pulling it out of tune in the resting position.

I decided to open up the levers a little so I could get my leg in there comfortably by loosening the small tilt screws and now the RKL won't intonate between the resting note and raising the F# and G# strings. Also, the RKR won't intonate when dropping the full tone on the D# string.

I know there is a way to adjust it properly but don't have experience doing so. I was hoping someone could help me with a setup suggestion or a link that could guide me through adjust the levers I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks for reading and i look forward to posting more!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 2:05 pm    

Won't intonate?
Describe what's happening better, please.
Some pictures might also be helpful.
There are many ways things can go pear-shaped.
Also, where in California are you? There are people around the state who could help you tout suite.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 2:18 pm    

It sounds like the stops were/are against the levers themselves. Is that so? Or is there a separate braket the stops are hitting?

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 2:36 pm    

Thanks for the response guys!

What I mean is that when the F#, G# and D# strings I are in tune without the levers engaged and then I engage the levels, they're out of tune. If I tune it with the levels engaged and then return it to open it's out. I can't get them into tune by adjusting the tuner either. It's always just slightly out. On the RKR, the half step is in tune but the full step is not.

I've tried adjusting the tilt screws back to their starting point with little success and also adjusted the travel screws, though maybe not enough. I was under the assumption that I could adjust the tilt screws without changing the travel but maybe that's not the case.

I will try and take pics of it tonight if I can.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 2:49 pm    

Without pictures, I can think of a few possibilities.
1) if the nylon nuts are having an effect on the open note, it is overtuned, back off the tuning nuts a bit.
2) you might have adjusted the travel stop screws instead of lever angle adjustment screws.
3 you might need to give the levers a bit more travel.
When you tune the 2nd string change, tune the C# first, then the D, regardless of how you get the feel stop

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 8:00 pm    

Guys,
Thanks so much for the replies and help. I was to able move the adjustment screws and balance out the strings. Looks like everything is good now!