The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Repair in L.A.?
Eddie Salcido

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 10:25 am    

Hello all. I have a Sierra pedal steel and have some pedal and knee lever issues with it. I'll describe my problems briefly. When tuning the rods for the C pedal, the rods tune the fourth and fifth strings even when they are open. In addition, my LKL raises the 8th string, but not the fourth string. Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area who can repair what's wrong? I know about Jim Palinscar in San Diego, but that's a trek for sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. I wish Jim could be in three places at once!

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 10:49 am    

Pali's about an hour north of San Diego... it's not really that far, and he's pretty much the only game in town when it comes to steel repair.
It's worth the drive... a few of us usually go down there together and make a day of it.

Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 12:06 pm    

Hey, Eddie -- I agree with Skip; it's really worth the trip to get it done right. Jim is incredibly knowledgeable about steels and has all of the parts and tools to make repairs/mods/adjustments while you wait. Plus, he's a fun hang! It's less than 2 hours to drive there ... it can take two hours to get across LA! Smile Good luck -- hope to see you around LA soon!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 2:51 pm    

I also agree. Jim's shop is 89 miles from my house. It takes about 2 hours to get there, and 4 to get back because we have to drive through Tustin and Santa Ana during rush hour. I bring a bunch of CDs to listen to and relax while I drive at 10 mph.

It's a long drive, but totally worth it. Jim's store is so cool, it's worth going there just to see it.

Take a day off and go. You will be glad you did.

Hay Joosten

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 9:18 am    

Jim's shop is a steel guitar Mecca… He is a fantastic guy, and it is a fantastic place… My only regret is not going there more… While you are there, check out some amazing steels, talk shop, or take a lesson, if you feel so inclined. Jim is a great guy and super knowledgeable/helpful. Well worth my drive from the San Fernando valley.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 9:47 am    

Another vote for Jim Palenscar, who handle almost all my tech work when I lived in L.A.

Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 10:12 am    

SAME HERE ...HE KNOWS HIS STUFF

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 4:01 pm    

Here's another vote for Steel Guitars of the North County!
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 6:12 am    

I showed this thread to my wife who then asked "Do you feel puffed up?" ..and I replied "Yes I do" Smile- thanks for the kind words ~~

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 7:55 am    

Jim's shop is a great hang even if there's nothing wrong with your steel. There is always remarkable gear to be ogled and something to be learned. And you never know who might show up. If I lived closer Jim would probably have to get a restraining order on me.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 10:13 am    

Jim's shop is heaven and Jim is Saint Peter. I'd live in there if I could.

Scott Baker

Upland, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 7:02 pm    

And he is also as close to a Sierra Factory Repair as you can get.
I believe he has all of the remaining parts stock from Sierra.

Here is the link to Sierra's support page directing people such as yourself to take your Sierra to Jim:

http://www.sierrasteelguitars.com/support/support-index.html