The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Lindley, Deluxe 34 stand, and a solar National
Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 11:26 am    

You'd be grinning like an idiot, too, if you're a David Lindley fan. Last weekend, Lindley played two sold out shows in our town -- Penticton, BC. I went to both. Friday with my wife and Saturday by myself with an up front seat so I could watch his hands like a hawk. On Friday night, talked with him out back and asked if he'd mind signing my National lap steel. Sure, bring it by. Then I asked if he'd ever tried a Duesenberg lap steel. I've got the Pomona 6. Nope. When I mentioned the unique features, he said he'd really like to try it. So, Saturday afternoon, spent a couple of hours with Dave as he played both lap steels through my Custom Deluxe Reverb amp. Also showed me all of his various Weissenborns (but we didn't get to the ouds) gave me some pickup and DI recommendations, and asked me to email him the http://www.deluxe34.com/ site because he really liked the U4 stand I'd brought along -- pointing out the good design features. So, I said, please take mine. He mumbled something about those "customs guys" and I pointed out that he had about a dozen instrument cases and related gear, and the stand would fit right in. As well, Made in the USA. Done deal.

Next day, I reordered the U4 stand from deluxe 34 and left a note saying, "Please let Mark Roeder know that David Lindley now has one of his stands..." with the gist of the story. Morning after, Mark replied saying, "That's so cool. So I want to replace the stand you gave him no charge." When I told my wife, she said, "OK, I'm sorry for rolling my eyes when you gave your stand away." On top of that, at the Friday night show, she said of Dave's deep bodied Weissenborns, "Those sound so good. Better than yours. You should get one." After a long pause, I asked, "Is this a trap?"

If you're looking for a great lap steel stand, highly recommend a Deluxe 34 model. Since I ordered my U4 about 18 months ago, a resonator stand (or kit for the U4) has been added. Pretty hard to top the customer service. And, if you get a chance to see David Lindley play live in your town, don't miss it.

There's a short video of Dave playing the Pomona 6 here.
https://plus.google.com/+PeterLindelauf/posts/ZoVHUu8oqYV

Last edited by Peter Lindelauf on 13 Jun 2017 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 11:33 am    

Very cool, Peter. And very generous of you to give up your Deluxe34, Mark Roeder, too. I had a good laugh about your wife's reaction Rolling Eyes

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 11:58 am    

That is really cool that you get to have a new instrument out of your generosity......good karma!

Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 12:48 pm    

Thanks again for your out of the blue kindness, Mark. I call that truckma. Versus the "what you deserve" of karma. Ha. Not entirely sure I actually need another Weissenborn, though. Lindley uses and recommended Seymour Duncan Mag Mic pickups. Those double poles look like a smart idea to me. Plus the mic, of course. Haven't quite gotten the sound I'd hoped for out of my Superior (as recommended by Mr Dave) with its Sunrise pickup and single poles. Maybe I can parlay the Weissenborn expense my wife pre OK'd for getting another Takamine acoustic a few months from now but I do have room for one more instrument. Really looking forward to trying the resonator kit with the U4 stand and not damping sound by playing it resting on my thighs.

Think we guys all know the power of that eyeroll, Rick. It's like a DEW Line in any given conversation but especially ones involving new musical instruments or gear.

Last edited by Peter Lindelauf on 13 Jun 2017 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Roeder

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 12:56 pm    

Yes...I've found that it does provide more sustain allowing the back to viberate more freely...

Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 12:57 pm    

Think we guys all know the power of that eyeroll, Rick. It's like a DEW Line in any given conversation but especially ones involving new musical instruments or gear.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 1:36 pm    

Peter, were the deep body Weissenborns Burgin or some other brand?

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 4:37 pm    

David Lindley is one of the nicest artists you will ever meet. I have been lucky to meet and spend time with him here in NC also.

...and yes, I got his autograph too.

Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 8:00 pm    

Olli, pretty sure there were two by Larry Progreba and two by Paddy Burgin. Sure glad I didn't trip over my amp cord carrying one back to its case. Tight quarters and lots of musical instruments.

Nicest is an understatement, Terry.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 6:38 am    

Nice story...I enjoyed reading that. My family is giving me a Deluxe 34 stand for fathers day...I know they are great stands, I had one and also gave it to a friend, but now with my Melbert, JB Frypan and someday Clinesmith, it will be the perfect stand for all 3 ! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 1:37 pm    

I can't imagine playing my beat-up old 6-string Gibsons without a Deluxe34 double-tiered stand.

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 9:00 pm    

Fantastic tale.

I wonder if Dusenberg will supply Dave, they sponser John Mayer with new fangled round necks etc...

Lee

Billy Glover

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2017 7:52 pm     Nice!

Thanks for sharing a great story. Lindley is the nicest person you will ever meet. Saw him last week in Spokane. We talked songwriting.

Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 1:41 pm    

Hello, Deluxe 34. Got my new U4 stand today and the reso kit works very well with my Weissenborn. Lot to be said for sitting up straight,having your arms level, and neck not bent. Better tone from the guitar, too. And just a few minutes to set the stand up for lap steel. Big thanks, Mark Roeder.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 2:04 pm    

Didn't see this thread until just now. Love it. And I am also an enthusiastic user of a Deluxe34.

Mark Roeder

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 6:43 am    

I have to say I'm not getting rich making these stands....but it is worth a million to meet and talk with all the great players over the last 4 years.....and fun to see players like David Lindley, Ben Harper, Mike Neer with stands