The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stewart PA200 1/2 rack VS Quilter Tone Block 200?
Robert Bunting

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 11:16 am    

Anyone owned both?
How do they compare?
Is one significantly more powerful?

Bonus Question:
Anyone compared either of these to say a GK MB200 or 500? How about Aguilar Tone Hammer 350? With its parametric mid sweep, this one seems like a steel guitar dream.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 11:25 am    

I don't think its a fair comparison. The Stewart PA200 is stereo power amp. The Quilter Tone Block 200 is a complete amp (preamp and power amp). Two different devices.

I have an MB200 and used it for a couple of years, I now have a Carvin BX500 and the 12AX7 tube in the Carvin is a big plus and a plus for the sound compared to the MB200.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 4:57 pm    

I use Stewart PA 200's with a Sarno Classic and a Sarno V8. What I have found with the Stewart PA 200 is if you have a good one, it will last forever. If you have one that messes up, throw it away.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 7:53 pm    

I don't know if you want to search wider, but there's now a bunch of different little tiny bass amps like the GK, everybody's making them. ANY newer bass amp with the parametric mids is covering the right frequencies, but use speakers without the horns or tweeters in most bass speakers. ALUMINUM CONES AAAK!!! PA speakers like the JBL's or Black Widow or high-power, non-distorting Eminences all work. We're living in pig heaven regarding equipment... why wasn't it (and money) there back when I needed it...

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 3:23 am    

I have a couple Stewart PA-200's and have been very happy with them. They sound great, take a 1/2 rack space, light weight and can find them on the used market (now and then) for a good price.

Robert

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 3:40 am    

Jack's answer is the correct answer.
With the Stewart, you will still need a preamp so that will open a whole new discussion of 'what preamp should I get?' Without a pre, you've got nothing with the Stewart. Roughly speaking, the preamp shapes the tone and the power amp makes it louder.
The Quilter and those others are heads. Preamp and power amp in one unit.

Robert Bunting

New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2017 5:44 pm    

While I own and understand the Stewart is a power amp "only",
Many use the Tone Block as a "power amp" relying on pedal boards, pods, Etc.
So I figured it was in the realm of comparison in terms of power.
I currently have used the Stewart with a mixer as a PA, a Fodera or Aguilar Pre for bass,
And an assortment of pre's and multi-effects as a guitar or steel rig.
I had a spare Eminience Neo Delta-Lite II laying around that I stuck in an old Open back Fender HotRod Deluxe Cab.
Ultimately, I was wondering if the Quilter Tone Block 200 was substantially louder?
The built in pre is definitely a plus.
I've heard of a couple of guys using them for bass rigs.
I'd like to consolidate my amp assortment and have one amp that depending upon cabinet and preamp choice covers all the gigs and hats I have to wear.
It's kind of a tall order and a Utopian ideal, but it seems more possible than ever now.
Appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter.