The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  You can't BUY Tone.
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2017 10:26 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
I've played a few different steel guitars in bands in the past 45 years and whenever I've asked my bandmates what they thought of a steel I was playing vs. my other one... they didn't notice any difference. And they are musicians!

95% player / 5% gear
80% player / 20% gear
60% player / 40% gear
...etc.

I'm going with 95% the player, or maybe even 98%. I'm not talking about the difference between steel guitars, p/p vs. all pull, humbucker vs. single coil, wood neck vs. metal neck. I'm talking about the overall sound that we hear coming from a player.

Doug, I love your lap-steel sound. Recently treated myself to a viewing of your Powerglide video. Outstanding! I think you are playing an Emmons S10 PP. If I heard this in a blind test I'm confident I would have recognized it as Doug Beaumier. Why? Who knows. The phenomenon is too common to ignore.

Last edited by Dan Robinson on 21 Jun 2017 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 12:55 am    

Sharrup Chappie!! Laughing Good statement. Nice to see you on here. Hope your sister Angie in Brit is still gigging Very Happy

Take care Smile

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 1:06 am    

All of this assumes that every player is exactly the same and hears the exact same tones, or rather, timbre.

The blindfold test would not be accurate unless each of those playing or listening hears exactly the same, and , KNOWS what to listen for .

IS it true that many Steels are very similar in tones ?

Sure

Is it true that many instruments excel in certain area's of the fret board ?

Sure

Is it true that we can be sitting behind a Steel and never bring out the best of it's tonal characteristics because we can't identify with it ?

Yess-iree- Bob

It doesn't matter if people in our bands can't hear a difference between Steels , they are not playing it and cannot connect with a sweet spot while holding drum sticks.

Over the past two years I have been playing regularly with two bands, 2 different Steels. Maybe 13 different people with 4 different guitar players . Most don't even know what brand Steel I was playing and didn't care, they just know one was Black and one was Brown. 2 guitar players never paid attention , never commented one way or the other. They were stuck in their own world, still are. But TWO guitar players did indeed notice. They knew the Brown one from the Black one .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 5:48 am    

Thanks fellows, all good, great colourful thoughts and replies.

Good to see you Micky Byrne, i shall sharrup after this thread, hope you doing great mate, Very Happy be back in the UK in November, Very Happy Hope i diden't stir up the hornets nest, it's just something that's been on my mind! He he Very Happy

One more rant; You can give Tiger Woods a dozen sets of golf clubs of all calibre's, the game will be played the same unless...(they are complete rubbish clubs and they snap off), he dosen't need a brand name on it to feel good, or to win the game, his style will shine through, it's still the Tiger no matter what.

Last edited by Larry Bressington on 21 Jun 2017 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 6:16 am    

Dan, thanks for your kind comments. I've been told that my playing on lap steel and pedal steel is very similar. Listeners say they recognize my sound and style on either instrument. I guess that's another vote for "the sound is in the player, not the gear". Cool

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 7:04 am    

Larry Bressington wrote:
One more rant; You can give Tiger Woods a dozen sets of golf clubs of all calibre's, the game will be played the same unless...(they are complete rubbish clubs and they snap off), he dosen't need a brand name on it to feel good, or to win the game, his style will shine through, it's still the Tiger no matter what.

Tiger will play better than anyone else on a crappy set of clubs, true. But he won't play his own best game.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 7:28 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
Larry Bressington wrote:

Tiger will play better than anyone else on a crappy set of clubs, true. But he won't play his own best game.

And that right there is Gold !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 21 Jun 2017 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Leo Melanson

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 9:39 am     Gas

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 9:58 am    

Speaking strictly for myself here; What i lack in Skill, i try to Fix with purchase.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2017 2:04 am    

I talked to the friend recently who was at the club where Buddy was playing years ago, he asked Buddy if he could play his Emmons for a few minutes while Buddy and the band were on the break, he said that was the worst sounding steel he ever played.... however, needless to say, Buddy sounded just as great as always on that same guitar.... I think that should tell us something about this subject...

Jason Cady

New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2017 7:21 am    

Have you ever heard someone have great tone yet play badly (wrong notes, bad intonation, cliche licks, etc.)?

Have you ever heard someone play amazing material yet with poor tone?

I think it is awfully difficult to asses tone separate from what is being played. It seems that when we talk of a player having great tone we really just mean that person is a great player.