The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Feelings
Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 3:40 am    

I recently had to prepare some backing tracks for the South of England Steel Guitar Festival but the worst happened. Lost my hard drive and all files were unrecoverable. That meant a new hard drive and start all over again as all my music was lost. After downloading Band in a Box 2017 I set to work and came up with a suitable backing. Brent Mason was listed in the real tracks so found a suitable solo to go with this. His solo was amazing so I started to ad lib after that section and this is how it turned out.

Played on my National D8 on the C6 neck.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-hearn-197524187/feelings

Former Member

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 2:09 pm    

WOW that is beautiful Mick!
Thanks for posting

Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 7:07 pm    

I store everything important in my cloud "Google Drive" folder through my GMail acount. In fact I work directly (open and save all my files to) from the Google Drive folder. I have three different work computers and they are always synced. Google gives you 2GIG for free. If you have Gmail then you all set. Also, For $1.99 a month you get 100GIG which I use because I store everything important to me in the cloud. I even do all my studio recording to my google cloud drive.
If you have an outlook email they have OneDrive or you could also use DropBox.
My point is never work in a non-could synced folder. It seems a little weird at first but the first time your computer crashes and your cloud puts EVERYTHING back on your new computer you'll feel pretty smart.

Here's a great get started video. At 1:26 "Get Google Drive Four Your PC" That's how I use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbeuqQWNPHY

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 3:42 am    

Michael James wrote:
I store everything important in my cloud "Google Drive" folder through my GMail acount. In fact I work directly (open and save all my files to) from the Google Drive folder. I have three different work computers and they are always synced. Google gives you 2GIG for free. If you have Gmail then you all set. Also, For $1.99 a month you get 100GIG which I use because I store everything important to me in the cloud. I even do all my studio recording to my google cloud drive.
If you have an outlook email they have OneDrive or you could also use DropBox.
My point is never work in a non-could synced folder. It seems a little weird at first but the first time your computer crashes and your cloud puts EVERYTHING back on your new computer you'll feel pretty smart.

Here's a great get started video. At 1:26 "Get Google Drive Four Your PC" That's how I use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbeuqQWNPHY

That assumes that you have an IP connection and have a hole in your firewall to get through. As a CIO I wouldn't allow it. No corporate data gets stored off site in the 'cloud'. While I agree that backups are essential, the "cloud" is still the wild wild west.

My recording PC is normally off the network. Only when I need a new driver or app update does it get connected. Mostly I transfer files using a secure flash drive. I have two back up drives in the recording PC and every thing gets backup to two different physical drives. Once a project is done, it gets burned to a DVD disk as well.

Your operating partition should be imaged and stored on a USB drive so if it crashes a restore can be done.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 6:14 am     Back up

I have a back up hard drive that holds 2 terra bites.
Thats double the size of my computer and is set to back up every hour.
They were only about $90.00 from Walmart and cheaper if you get one with 1 Terra bite. Might be cheaper now because these things keep coming down.
Sorry that happened to you.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 8:05 am    

[quote="Tony Oresteen"]
Michael James wrote:

That assumes that you have an IP connection and have a hole in your firewall to get through. As a CIO I wouldn't allow it. No corporate data gets stored off site in the 'cloud'.

I don't believe most of us are practice steel guitar at a corporation where there is a strict network firewall policed by the CIO of the corporation.
Most of us are just at home using standard internet providers that allow cloud file storage on their networks. In fact many ISP provide some free cloud storage.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 11:44 pm    

Thanks for the advice. That was a lesson I should have known about. In a way it did me a lot of good as I have now looked at my music again and have made some changes in my recordings. My daughter and I share files on Pcloud as she lives 11 miles away. She will record and put it in Pcloud where I pick it up, add steel or guitar and then put it back again for her to use.

The wonders of modern technology.