The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PBS doc. on Frank Harlow
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 1:18 pm    

I was pleased and surprised to stumble onto this documentary of Frank Harlow resonator builder this afternoon. I didn't know much about him really, and this special was enlightening. Watch your PBS schedule if you have any interest in viewing this.

Thank God for public television for keeping us in touch with these types of instrument roots and information.

I've also seen specials on Tim Scheerhorn, Wayne Henderson guitar builder, Homer Ledford and many, many others via this avenue.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 4:27 pm    

While at Berea College many years ago, my father in law worked with Homer Ledford on his first dulcimer. Some of his later dulcimers featured reclaimed wood from some of Berea's former dorms as part of their construction. Homer had an interesting approach to building--He built his dulcimers with the top and back attached to the end blocks, and then bent the very thin sides to fit the curves of the front and back. No heat necessary.

I know it's not steel guitar, but seeing Homer's name mentioned brought back some memories. He was a great guy and built some very nice instruments. I have one of his earlier dulcimers hanging on my dining room wall....

Dave

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 8:55 pm    

Frank is mighty fine builder and one nice man. I have the first 8 string he ever built (may be the only one) he said: don't another one. When first I called him I wanted a 10 and he said said the thought he could that. I think it was about a years wait. He called me one night and said could a build an 8 but could not find a cover plate for a 10. Mighty fine feller and a mighty fine resonator guitar.
Joe Elk Central Ohio