The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The next Delay pedal....
David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 3:43 am    

I'm searching for a Digital Delay, to replace the one I had for many years.

I'm looking for a Boss DD-5...that's what I owned & used for quite a long time. I've noticed many guitarists & Pedal Steel Guitarists, prefer the DD-5 over all of the other "DD models," except maybe the DD-7?

In my search, I've really taken a notice to the TC Electronics "Flashback" Delay pedal. The one that is the same size as most pedals. They make 3 pedal models. It's not the $99 cheap one. It's the one with 4 knobs, & a tiny toggle switch at the top. It seems like it selects the Delay time modes. One of the modes on another knob, is a number (2090...something like that), & it refers to their famous rack mount unit, that is VERY complex & expensive. I like the fact that it is TRUE BYPASS. I can tell very easily when a pedal has changed my tone. I don't understand why Boss, MXR, etc...don't have TRUE BYPASS on ALL models....not just there BOUTIQUE line. How much more could it cost them to do that??

Has anyone used one of these on a Pedal Steel Guitar? If so...did you like it?

Thanks!!

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 4:10 am     New delay pedal

Hey Dave, I have a TC electronics Flashback delay (the full-size version you described) and I have found it to be very useful and versatile on the pedal steel. It is one of my favorites and I use it on my pedal board along with a vintage Boss DD-2 delay which I have had for several years. In some cases, depending on the feel of the song, I want the TC utilized for the most variety and control of the delay effects I want. However, for a vintage good quality digital delay I don't think you can beat the Boss DD-2 for the slow stuff. I love them both, and it just really depends on how I am feeling the music at the time. If I could only have one, I would go with the TC Flashback because of its versatility and quality build. Hope this helps some! Good luck with your decision! Roger Smile

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:32 am    

I have the BOSS DD-3, DD-5, and DD-7 pedals, and a DigiTech Hardwire DL-8. With the BOSS pedals, the higher the number, the greater the features. The Hardwire is roughly comparable to the DD-7. All are fine pedals. Aside from the relatively barebones DD-3, all are loaded with features that I never use.

Since I use delay only sparingly to fatten up the sound, or occasionally for a slight slap-back effect, I have found that for my purposes the incredibly inexpensive JOYO JF-33 serves admirably. I paid $25.35 for mine last February, brand-new on eBay, delivered to my mailbox.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:43 am    

I played a gig Thursday and used my Boss 3 pedal case that includes an RV-6 for reverb, DD-3 for delay and Boss chorus. Boss delays are a workhorse and there is a reason that the DD-3 has been around for 25 years.

I swapped out the DD-3 for a TC Flashback just because I had it and he TC has a selector for different styles: Tape, Analog, Digital, Digital w/modulation and Lo-Fi. The TC is also true bypass if that matters but no big deal for me.

When I put it in the pedal case I experimented with the different selection and left it on the tape selection, or so I thought! I setup at the gig, started to play and and when I kicked in the TC delay it was warm and full with a soft pleasing repeat. I commented to myself, I guess that is way players like tape delay and just left it on that setting. Half way through the gig I look down and noticed the selector dial was on "Lo-Fi. I turned the selector to tape and it was nice but the Lo-Fi was a total different feel especially playing with a band.

Anyway, if you have a TC Flashback you may want to try the Lo-Fi setting.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 9:05 am    

I also prefer analog delay by a long shot. Digital is too clinical sounding, while analog sounds much more like natural echo.

I have several - one is mounted upside-down on my Fender 400 and is on all the time - a small Hotone "Eko". the MXR Carbon Copy is also excellent. My favorite, though, is a vintage Ibanez AD-9 - but they are very expensive nowadays. For a normal-size, new (or used) pedal I'd go with the MXR - good sound and virtually indestructibel.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

David Rupert

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 12:27 pm     Thanks!!

Thanks very much to everyone who replied to my post!! Great info. & feedback.

I'm really leaning towards the TC Electronics Flashback. I have an offer for a DD-6, for $70...in my area. I've heard many say they didn't like the tone of the DD-6??

Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Gary Sill

Mt. Zion, IL, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 5:56 pm     Dave, you know Keith Hilton has a great new delay

See

www.sillmusicsupply.com

$100 plus shipping

You won't be sorry!

Gary Sill
Sill Music Supply
A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman Mandolin

David Rupert

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 2:28 am     Re: Dave, you know Keith Hilton has a great new delay

Gary Sill wrote:
See

www.sillmusicsupply.com

$100 plus shipping

You won't be sorry!

Gary Sill
Sill Music Supply

Thanks Gary...but, I'm really leaning towards to TC Electronics "Flashback."

David Rupert

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 2:43 am     Re: New delay pedal

Roger Dillingham wrote:
Hey Dave, I have a TC electronics Flashback delay (the full-size version you described) and I have found it to be very useful and versatile on the pedal steel. It is one of my favorites and I use it on my pedal board along with a vintage Boss DD-2 delay which I have had for several years. In some cases, depending on the feel of the song, I want the TC utilized for the most variety and control of the delay effects I want. However, for a vintage good quality digital delay I don't think you can beat the Boss DD-2 for the slow stuff. I love them both, and it just really depends on how I am feeling the music at the time. If I could only have one, I would go with the TC Flashback because of its versatility and quality build. Hope this helps some! Good luck with your decision! Roger Smile

Thanks Roger! I'm REALLY leaning towards to Flashback at this point.

Here are a few pics. I circled some areas, so my question will be as clear as possible to steel players here, that are more tech savvy, than myself.

Does the micro "toggle switch" on the Flashback, do basically what the "Delay Modes" knob does...on the Boss DD pedals?? I'm almost positive...but want to make sure. Thanks!

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 2:02 pm    

Tap tempo is a nice feature.

David Rupert

Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 12:07 am     Thank you...

Thanks to everyone who replied...I appreciate it.

I ended up buying the TC Electronics, Flashbackâ„¢ Delay pedal. I must say...I made the right choice, the Flashback...is an AWESOME pedal. It's an amazing pedal, without a doubt!! Thanks for mentioning this pedal...I really appreciate it!! I've been a huge Boss fan...for decades, but this Flashback is by far, superior...IMHO. I did, want True Bypass...so I definitely am happy with this purchase. I was so impressed by all of the positive reviews here, & on Amazon...that I purchased their "MojoMojo" Overdrive pedal. It had great reviews...& was only $48. I basically only use 2 effects; Delay & occasionally Overdrive.

My Amp has a bunch of effects, if I need them...but, I needed a pedal next to me...& something I could control more...than the one built into my amp.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 12:28 am    

The mini toggle selects the divisions for the tap tempo.

Johan Forsman

Sweden
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 7:24 am    

Ken Metcalf wrote:
Tap tempo is a nice feature.

In fact the tap tempo is especially friendly and useful on the Flashback.

1. Depress and hold the footswitch/bypass...the signal is muted and you're in "pick tempo" mode.
2. Mute-pick a string in the tempo you want to set.
3. Release the footswitch/bypass and the signal is un-muted and delay is in the tempo you picked.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2017 4:47 am    

Here's something powerful in a small box with different sounding delays. Featuring multi-head delays.

GFI System Clockwork

They make a lush sounding reverb as well.

GFI Specular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMx4toryqPI

There are other good clips on Youtube that demo these pedals but here's one in English.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 3:49 pm    

I have several Joyo pedals.
All pedals are knock offs of another pedal at some level.
I also have a Danelectro delay that was about 30 bucks.
Here is a deal on a Mooer Delay / Reverb with tap tempo, true by pass, etc.

https://www.cheaperpedals.com/collections/mooer-pedals/products/mooer-echoverb-digital-delay-and-reverb

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 10:20 am    

Interesting thread...
I am quite new to the PSG (started in May) and am at the point I am wanting to purchase a delay, and exterior reverb unit.
I will be playing predominately gopsel music, with some cou try here and there.
I am probably the least tech savvy person on the forum.
Can someone suggest the pedals I should look into, without breaking the bank? The reverse in my 112 hums or roars sometime, and from what I've been told, this has been an issue with peavy amps. The amp does have a tommy white reverb MOD (I was told), but that roar when I have it set at 4 is annoying. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 7:27 pm    

Jim Morris wrote:

Can someone suggest the pedals I should look into, without breaking the bank?

I would depend on what you as a player are wanting to hear. If money is your first priority there are many cheap pedals out there that do delay. But keep in mind that delay devices are complex in their circuitry hence it's only recently that they can be had for $50 instead of over $100.

BEHRINGER DIGITAL DELAY DD600.
$49.99 at Amazon

If the quality of the delay is your target then be prepared to spend much more.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 9:41 pm    

Thank Godfrey... I'm not sure exactly what I need, as I am inexperienced with FX pedals. I am most likely going to purchase a used DD3 off a friend of m8ne, as I see alot of steelers who use these pedals. Thanks Godfrey

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 9:59 pm    

Jim Morris wrote:
Thank Godfrey... I'm not sure exactly what I need, as I am inexperienced with FX pedals. I am most likely going to purchase a used DD3 off a friend of m8ne, as I see alot of steelers who use these pedals. Thanks Godfrey

Good choice Jim, was going to suggest getting something used like that.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 7:56 am    

Either a Boss DD2 or DD3 is my choice. Very Happy

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 11:51 am    

David, I have a DD-5 I don't use anymore, right here in Mesa, I'd sell it to you for $75. Ron

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 2:19 pm    

Give a Zoom CDR unit a try. Chorus, delay and reverbs. Ive found it very good for steel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUScYulIQ4

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/multistomp/zoom-ms-70cdr-multistomp-chorus-delay-reverb-pedal

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/multistomp/zoom-ms-70cdr-multistomp-chorus-delay-reverb-pedal