The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Universal 12?
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 4:11 pm    

Did Sho-Bud ever make a Universal 12 PSG? I know they made extended E9 12 strings.

Can the ext E9 Sho-Buds be converted to a universal 12? If so, is there a particular Sho-Bud 12 that is easy to convert to a U12?

Thanks!

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 4:42 pm    

Sho-Bud never made a U-12 but there are quite few of them around. If do a search here you'll find a few, Mickey Byrne in the UK has one with an interesting back story.

You can convert any of them if you can turn up all the necessary parts. The pedals are probably the hardest bits to find these days, but most everything else needed in the pull train is available aftermarket if you can't find original stuff.

I have one that I converted, it's of the newer vintage with the 3 raise 2 lower changer, which works well for a uni. A typical uni setup requires three raises on strings 4, 5 and 9, and two lowers on string 8. The earliest ones from around '75 were 2 raise 1 lower, so one of those would require a little more finagling with the older style tuning barrels underneath on a couple of strings to get all the necessary pulls, but still quite do-able.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 1:12 am    

Thanks for the mention Ian....When I bought mine from a Sho-Bud shop in London, It was an extended E9th with 3 and 5. I then found a guy's article in one of Scotty's magazines, of how to convert a S-12 into a universal. His copedant was way before the Jeff Newman's one. It was all done on 4 pedals and 6 or 7 knee levers. I got my good friend who is a good engineer in his work shop, to make the bits up. On the day it was ready I went straight to a gig ...By the last set I had learned "some" of the "Grips" ...it's easy to learn "some" of the 6th sounds, and alot of fun there after. Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 12:28 pm    

The single/single is ideal for the universal. That way you can get the tunable split on 6 and the rodding is far simpler.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 2:53 pm    

1/1 is ideal...? Yes, it's a flexible setup in terms of getting all the pulls you want/need, but it's very limiting in terms of leverage and timing of pulls, and you have to tune all the intermediate pulls under the guitar. That doesn't seem 'ideal' to me, but to each his own I guess.

As far as I am aware the earliest 6160s were 2/1 with clamping swivels and nylon tuners anyway. I have one of those too, it's a '75. You can still rod it like a 1/1 if you want and add barrels where extra pulls are needed.

Topic drift, I know, but there is another chapter in Micky's guitar's back story. It starts with this:

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 5:14 pm    

Why would you tune intermediate pulls under the guitar? Use Professional/Pro I rods, and tune with barrels.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 5:46 pm    

Thanks guys. As a newbie I am lost with the terms used. What do these mean?

1. "1/1"

2. "3 raise 2 lower changer"

3. "three raises on strings 4, 5 and 9, and two lowers on string 8"

4. "tunable split on 6"

I'm guessing - are #2 & #3 talking about pitch changes in 1/2 step increments?

Thanks!

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 8:38 pm    

those are the number of slots in the changer fingers.
1/1 = one slot raise, one slot lower...
same thing on the 3/2

Your answer to #3 is the amount of different raises and/or lowers on given strings...from different pedals or levers...usually.

A tunable split is the ability to tune the pitch on a string that has two things affecting it at the same time. Ex... a pedal that raises a string a whole step (B to C#), and a lever that lowers the same B string to Bb. A tunable split will allow you to tune a C natural while having the lever engaged at the same time the pedal is pushed. Really..it's not quite as confusing as it seems...

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 12:30 am    

Thanks Ian.....and it was ressurected to a fully gorgeous working guitar as you know Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 10:52 am    

I had a friend[passed several years ago] that was a good player here in NY state that played a Bud 12 Universal... I could be mistaken but I think it even had a Pro 1 decal on it.. It may have been shipped as an ext e9 , not sure, but lets face it, a well trained gorilla could add a few pedals and cross shafts and have a Universal on a good S12 in a few hours.. he played it well, and was mostly a country E9 player, but used the B6 to good effect here and there on swing stuff.

I recall him showing me the one lever he had that changed the open E9 into an open B6,, That was years ago, but I guess these days thats a common/standard thing? maybe someone could tell me exactly what changes that lever made that turned the E9 into a B6.. Never played a Uni, so I am not really up on the tuning variations... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2017 6:56 am    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
I had a friend[passed several years ago] that was a good player here in NY state that played a Bud 12 Universal... I could be mistaken but I think it even had a Pro 1 decal on it.. It may have been shipped as an ext e9 , not sure, but lets face it, a well trained gorilla could add a few pedals and cross shafts and have a Universal on a good S12 in a few hours.. he played it well, and was mostly a country E9 player, but used the B6 to good effect here and there on swing stuff.

I recall him showing me the one lever he had that changed the open E9 into an open B6,, That was years ago, but I guess these days thats a common/standard thing? maybe someone could tell me exactly what changes that lever made that turned the E9 into a B6.. Never played a Uni, so I am not really up on the tuning variations... bob

Assuming your friend's U-12 was set up like Jeff Newman's (without a low D), the knee lever that changes E9 to B6 lowers the second string D# to C# and the fourth and eighth string Es to D#.