The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  session players
Rod Bailey

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 7:34 am    

I would like to ask if any one out there would know how or who to contact concerning session players on a particular album . My Brother in law , Ron Williams (who was married to Leona and the father of Ron Willams jr. from Nashville ) Recorded an album back in the late 60's to early 1970's Called " Sweet Grass " . How ever there is no mention of the session players or record company ect. ect. on the record or the cover . I asked Ron jr. about it but he didn't have any idea . Jimmy Skinner wrote the liner notes and that is all that's on the back of the cover plus the list of songs on the album. The list of songs are : The Door is always open -- All of these things that make you mine -- Give my love to Nashville -- When did right become wrong -- Who'll turn out the lights -- Old Arkansas -- It's tearing this old heart right out of me -- Rambling man -- Rye whiskey -- I ain't looking for another . He also had some other recordings : Doing my time -- Don't let her call my house tonight -- C.C. Water back -- and a second version of Who'll turn out the lights . There are some great pickers on these recordings , and would be very interested to know who they were . Ron worked with me for at least 17-18 plus years in our band and the last song we played togeather , at a family get togeather , was Who'll turn out the lights . Unfortunatly that was just about 9 months befor we lost him to Cancer about three years ago. If any one on the forum might know something , maybe someone here played on the sessions or knew him and knew where it was recorded at, I would sure like to know. You can contact me at ( 406 ) 350-1918 or respond to this post. Thanks in advance for any Info you might have . Rod

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 8:41 am    

All due respect, why didn't you ask Mr. Williams these questions during the many years he worked with you? Also, his son Ron Jr. might know.. Confused