The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Definition updates for MBAM v2.x will end on June 8, 2017
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 6:38 pm    

I confirmed this on the Malwarebytes' forum. Malwarebytes has set the end of lifecycle for all Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 2.21 and older at June 8, 2017. After this date they don't plan to make any new definition or program updates available. This could leave your computers at risk if you are expecting MBAM to provide realtime protection. The protection will remain on, as long as your license is good, but no new updates will occur.

They are urging anybody holding either an annual or lifetime license to upgrade to MBAM 3. If you have a valid license, it and its term will transfer to version 3 during installation. Just upgrade over the top while MBAM is still installed.

I can confirm that this works as I hold a lifetime license (I got in just before they stopped issuing them in March 2014) and it transferred from v2.2.1 to 3.0 without a hitch.

If anybody is curious about controlling MBAM 3's new protections, you can enable and disable web browser, exploit, malware, ransomware and PUP/PUM protections at will. You can even stop it from starting with Windows or Mac. It can be run purely manually if you wish, just like the unlicensed version.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 2:30 am    

I've upgraded to V3 (a while back as I have the lifetime license too), but its flakey. I still get occasional times when I boot up that Exploit protection is off and the only way to get it back on is to reboot.

I have the latest version, which was supposed to fix this.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 7:25 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I've upgraded to V3 (a while back as I have the lifetime license too), but its flakey. I still get occasional times when I boot up that Exploit protection is off and the only way to get it back on is to reboot.

I have the latest version, which was supposed to fix this.

I had the same problem for a while. But it seems to have been fixed (I hope). I still use Trend Micro AV+ on my home PC, so Malwarebytes (v3.0.6.1469) is my second layer of defense. But, my Dell Latitude has Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, with MBAM as the main protection for rigged web pages (in Firefox).
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 7:44 am    

I use Webroot as my primary with MBAM as secondary. I think it is a great combination myself.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 7:54 am    

I don't pay yearly for Malwarebytes updates. Can I assume I have a lifetime subscription. How do I tell for sure?

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 8:25 am    

Under "My Account", it says "Status: Never Expires", do not know if that is it or not. Wiz or Jack?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 8:27 am    

DG Whitley wrote:
Under "My Account", it says "Status: Never Expires", do not know if that is it or not. Wiz or Jack?

That means you have a lifetime license. You got in before they switched to annual subscriptions.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 8:29 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I don't pay yearly for Malwarebytes updates. Can I assume I have a lifetime subscription. How do I tell for sure?

Open the application then click on the My Account button on the top-right. Your subscription details will be shown. If the status says Never Expires, you have a lifetime license.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 2:14 pm    

How about PC-3. They advertise some pretty great things?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2017 2:17 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
How about PC-3. They advertise some pretty great things?

I don't know what that is.