The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  San Antonio Steel Guitar Association - June 11th
Ben Price

San Antonio, TX - USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 8:24 am    

Hello everyone,

Sunday, June 11th is our next San Antonio Steel Guitar Association jam. We meet at the American Legion in Converse from 2:00 till 5:00. All steel players, regardless of skill level, are encouraged to attend. The Legion has the best hamburgers in town so come hungry! There is a 4-sale table for stuff that needs 'downsizing'. Admission is free and all are welcome.

If you're a new player (or just shy), we have a special segment just for you called "This is my song". This segment is for players who might only know one song that they are comfortable playing in front of people. Bring you steel, play your one song, and then you can rejoin the audience, or stay up front. Any player can always pass in the round robin when it comes to them by just raising you hand. You can play ANY song you wish. If you need a suggestion, I'll be playing "Hey Good Lookin" in the key of C. But again, you can play ANY song you're comfortable with. I understand that it can be daunting to play in front of other people, but once you try it, you'll really enjoy it. Come on out and give it a try.

Our big event (and fundraiser) for the year is coming up in September. The San Antonio Steel Guitar Association Family Fest will be held at the Blue Bonnet Palace in Selma on Sunday, September 17th from noon till 7:00. Admission is FREE and all are welcome. There will be bands, food, entertainment, dancing, and surprise events. ALL monies raised go directly to The Warrior and Family Support Center here at Fort Sam Houston. Last year, thanks to folks like YOU, we were able to donate $7,000 to this worthy cause, and hope to meet, or exceed, that goal for this year. Please pass the word around and visit our Facebook page for current info on this event.

Jody Cameron, Texas Hall of Fame player, will be presenting a seminar here in San Antonio on Sunday, August 13th from 11:30 to 1:30 just before our monthly jam at the American Legion in Converse, TX. Cost is $35 in advance and the price includes an instructional booklet. For more information, contact Jody at: emmonsd10@yahoo.com.

Ben Price
San Antonio Steel Guitar Association
www.facebook.com/satxsga

Last edited by Ben Price on 3 Jun 2017 7:24 am; edited 8 times in total

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 7:15 am    

Thanks Ben for all your help!
June 11th would be better though. Very Happy

Ben Price

San Antonio, TX - USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 7:27 am    

Ken - Thanks for the words of support.

Yes! The original posting had June 14th in the body of the text (but I've changed it to the actual date, which is Sunday, June 11th). Hope that didn't confuse too many people.

Hope to see everyone there.

Ben

Kenny Piper

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 8:23 pm     Sasga

Okay folks, all you steel guitar pickers in San Antonio, and surrounding areas, it is time for the June 11 steel guitar jam at the American Legion Post 593, 326 Legion Drive West, Converse, TX, 78109. It's time to come out of the wood works and let's have some fun. Beginner steel guitarists are welcome. Jorja and I stopped into the Legion Saturday to support a fun/fundraiser and the girls already told us to be ready for some great food out of the kitchen. What do you say about that - great steelin, music, good fellowship, and delicious food. What a way to spend a hootenanny kind of a Sunday afternoon.

Kenny Piper

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 8:19 am     Sasga

It's a beautiful day. A day to make some good steel guitar music. Loaded up, and the best for those who know me, I off my crutches. Yippee. Anyway been looking for this. For those who know our drummer Larry Peatron, Larry had a accident and will not be playing with us today and our prayers are with him. Virgil Hoye from the Backwoods band will be setting in behind the drums and also Jimmy Allen on the steel will grace us with him presence. Looking forward to visiting these fine musicians. So for you steel players, come and support the San Antonio Steel Guitar Association.

Kenny Piper

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 7:22 pm     Sasga

As I said, boys, this was a great day for steelin licks. A special thanks for all our steel guitar players, Ken Metcalf (Kirby), Mike Ester (New Braunfels), Jimmy Allen (Crystal City), Roger Edgington (San Antonio), Omar Oyogue (Mercedes), Ron Sodos (San Antonio). Thank you to Duane Sully on the EHarp(San Antonio) who did a super job presenting a 1938 Hawaiian steel guitar. Another special thanks to Virgil Hoye (Jourdanton) from the Backwoods Band sitting in on the drums for us! Also, thank you to our band members, Ben Price, Jim Kleckler, Kenny Piper. Thank you to our new up and coming singer song writer, John Eustrom, for adding vocals and fill-in acoustic guitar. Eight steel guitars in one session, well rounded!

Kenny Piper

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 7:24 pm     Sasga

As I said, boys, this was a great day for steelin licks. A special thanks for all our steel guitar players, Ken Metcalf (Kirby), Mike Ester (New Braunfels), Jimmy Allen (Crystal City), Roger Edgington (San Antonio), Omar Oyogue (Mercedes), Ron Sodos (San Antonio). Thank you to Duane Sully on the EHarp(San Antonio) who did a super job presenting a 1938 Hawaiian steel guitar. Another special thanks to Virgil Hoye (Jourdanton) from the Backwoods Band sitting in on the drums for us! Also, thank you to our band members, Ben Price, Jim Kleckler, Kenny Piper. Thank you to our new up and coming singer song writer, John Eustrom, for adding vocals and fill-in acoustic guitar. Eight steel guitars in one session, well rounded!

Ben Price

San Antonio, TX - USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 6:38 am    

A few pictures from our Jun 11th monthly jam. Thanks to our new player Omar all the way from Mercedes TX, and also to Duane Solley for his presentation on the Eharp.

Duane Solley gives a demonstration of the Eharp, created and promoted by Eddie Alkire.

(L to R) Roger Edgington, Omar Oyoque, Ron Sodos

(L to R) Mike Ester (cut in half), Jimmy Allen, Ben Price, Roger Edgington, Omar Oyoque
(Backup band musicians) Jim Cleckler, Virgil Hoye, John Eustrom

(L to R) Ken Metcalf, Mike Ester, Jimmy Allen, Roger Edgington