The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Furlong Tonic Split Combo Amp opinions
Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 10:31 am    

Tried Searching but got confused by the results. Looking to upgrade my amp from a NV400 that has some cut-outs that are mostly fixed with deoxit....

Furlong Tonic Combo Amp popped up in the For Sale section, looks like it uses Sarno brains and a Furlong power stage. Cant tell if they have reverb built in, anybody know? Any body love/hate these amps? How to they stack up to a milkman half and half?

I realize this is a subjective question but I'm confused by the Furlong/sarno reviews and which amp is what so I'm hoping for help since I'm not near the sellers.

Thanks,
Jon

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 8:32 pm    

Jon,

the combo amp you're referring to is pretty rare, maybe only 3 or so exist. Those weren't normal production models.

Our normal setup is that I (Sarno Music Solutions) make a few different all-tube pedal steel guitar preamps. TC Furlong made a limited run of his powered speaker cabinets. Lots of people combine my preamp with his powered speaker.

I do see a used Furlong SPLIT cabinet show up on the forum for sale now and then, but they go real fast. And I'm always here still making the preamps and stuff.

Brad

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 10:59 pm     Amps

Hi Jon

Brad already replied to your post with some general information on the Sarno / Furlong SPLIT combo amps. I am not sure of what model the amp is that's currently for sale on the forum as I have never viewed a picture of it.

TC Furlong only produced a few combo style, powered cabinet setups. I own a 12" and a 15" model which I purchased new and still have as of this time. The cabinets I have were built to house a Tonic preamp which were produced by Brad Sarno. I am going to attach a couple of pictures which should answer your questions as to what they are.

This is the 12" model. It is a "closed back" cabinet with a 500 watt power module ( @ 4 ohms ) mounted in the back panel.

The power module was mounted as demonstrated in the picture below. ( this is the back of a 12" standard non combo cabinet )

This is the 15" open back combo cabinet model which has a power module mounted inside.

I think that TC also may have produced a couple of cabinets that were made to accept a one space rack mount preamp, ( something like Brads Classic preamp )

Hopefully this answers your question as to what they are. TC's powered cabinets and combo's are hard to come buy. He used very high quality class D power modules which sounded terrific.

Brad Sarno has expanded his preamp lineup. He also produces a couple of octal tube models. His products are of superior quality and he has terrific customer service.

My main take out amp setup today is a rack setup which consist of Brads Octal Tube Revelation preamp and M One effect processor. With the rack, I normally use one of TC Furlongs 15 " open back powered cabinets with a JBL K 130 speaker, or 2 closed back Furlong powered cabinets with Travis Toy 12" speakers.

You can email me if you have any questions as to the above equipment

Ray DeVoe
Spring Hill, FL

Last edited by Ray DeVoe on 1 Jun 2017 5:44 pm; edited 3 times in total

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 1:34 am    

I like this one it sounds great

Nathan Golub

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 6:26 am    

Love mine. Currently has a Telonics neo 15 but I'm thinking of switching back to the JBL. I'm using the SMS Classic pre. Brad and TC have always been very helpful if I have questions about the amp.

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 2:49 pm    

Nice looking amps guys. Smile

I currently use reconed 8 ohm JBL K 130's in all of my 15" cabinets.

I have one more of TC's combo cabinet models. This one is on the heavy side and weighs in at 60 pounds with a K 130 in it. The cabinet is pretty close to the size of a Session 500. It's a great sounding setup. Replacing the K 130 with a 15" Telonics Neo speaker brings it down to 49 pounds. ( as pictured below )