The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics 500
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 8:17 am    

Just curious on any opinions on a Telonics with. 12 or 15. Thoughts on either would be appreciated . Thanks Bill

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 8:27 am    

My review of the TCA-500C:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Amp/Telonics%20Amp.html

I am using it for fiddle, steel and guitar. I've sold my vintage Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb, Nash 400 and Steel King amps to just keep the Telonics and a Walker Steel. The Telonics does an awesome job on all instruments with at times the addition of a Keeley compressor on guitar. It also has the most features and lightest weight but perhaps lacks the fat near field stereo sound of the Walker Stereo steel.

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 2 Jun 2017 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 8:44 am    

Check out Mark Dunn's youtube videos. He uses a Telonics is some of them like this one: https://youtu.be/jZ30DrpWwXg

There's also a more recent one of him playing Lost in the Feeling on an Infinity with the Telonics here: https://youtu.be/Dz7P5ZNp7Qk

...also some by other players and some media from Dave Beaty if any of this is any help. Apologies if you have already seen this stuff.

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 3:29 pm    

Thanks Greg and Jerry... Greg is there any particular reason you chose the G Major over the Lexicon? I think I'm going to order one and would like as much info and opinions as possible. I have all the manuals, etc. thanks again

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 3:31 pm    

Bill I have been using a TCA500 with a 15" for several years now and it has been a fantastic amp in all modes for me, both live, and in the studio - mic'd and also direct to board.

I have also flown with the amp on numerous occasions because it's so light .... about 19 kgs with the TC Electronics G major single rack unit in it ...so I think that runs out to about 40lb ....so it's well under the average airline weight limit of 23kg/50lb.

The amp has a number of features you don't normally see on a PSG amp, built in dobro sim, headphone jack, CD jack, extra efx looping capability etc.
But ultimately it sounds amazing !!! I haven't tried the 12" speaker but I just love the 15".

I also use a Telonics rack system on occasion as well with 2 x 15's.

It's certainly worth checking out - and Dave Beaty and his team are top notch, and you will find no better customer support anywhere.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 3:57 pm    

Thanks Paddy, my big delma is 12 or 15. I hear good things about the 12 and leaning that way. I don't know anybody close that has both. I tried to go to the Texas Show again this year but couldn't make it. I think I read somewhere that Herb Stiene just upgraded to a new one and talked about the reverb. Not sure if he has a 12 or 15. Maybe he will chime in. (I hope) Thanks Bill

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 5:19 pm    

Bill I have the 15" speaker and hear from many others that the 12" sounds just as good. Regardless I love the look of a steel amp with a 15" speaker and the weight is still very low. Can't comment on the Lexicon vs G Major. The G Major works great and fully replaces my reverb and delay stomp boxes for steel. Telonics offers a lot of nice options and you can order a super light and tiny 12" TCA without the rack slot or go full bore with a 15" speaker and rack slots and still retain the extensive list of amp features. Telonics customer service is truly incredible!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 6:27 pm    

Bill, I've always played amps with 15" speakers since that has been the norm for quite a while. I was fortunate to be able to have a Telonics amp with a 12" on loan for a few gigs. It kicked butt! My first concern was having enough low end. It had lows to spare and they were clean and full. I was impressed enough with the loaner to buy one. You won't be disappointed with either the 12 or the 15, but if you are a fan of 12", don't hesitate to go that way.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 2:09 am    

Bill, they strongly recommended the G Major when I bought my Telonics 500. They find it is the effects processor that works best with that amp. If you buy it from them it will have a lot of their pedal steel presets pre-programmed and they are very high quality presets. Also, if you decide to buy their Handy Patch midi controller unit it is designed to work hand in hand with the G Major. It is the ultimate in effects convenience since it attaches to the leg of your guitar and puts all of your effects, including the onboard T-Bro and reverb on the amp itself at your fingertips. So, if in mid song, you want to play a few dobro phrases you just reach out and push a button. Push it again when you're done and revert to the previous effect. I haven't tried the Lexicon but the G Major is a winner for sure.

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 3:12 am     thank you

I really appreciate you all and the forum. This is great stuff. Dave Beaty has also been great over the phone and emails. I am going to give Sophie a call later today. Thanks You again. Bill

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 8:15 am    

Done!!!! Happy, excited and nervous all at the same time. Dave and Sophie couldn't have been nicer or more patient. Thanks again to all who helped. Bill

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 10:07 am    

Bill, exactly what did you order? Excited to hear what you decided on!

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 11:51 am    

Hi Greg, I ordered the 15 with the G-Major. I was leaning towards the 12 after reading some of the messages I went with the 15. Thanks again.

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 3:52 pm    

Congrats Bill ...you won't regret it one little bit Very Happy

Paddy Long

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 3:55 pm    

With regard to Bill's comments on the Handy Patch midi controller - the other neat feature of that is being able to tweak your presets on the fly from the guitar, and you can also power your Telonics volume pedal from the controller with a shorter cable :-} ....they have thought of every possible convenience hehe

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 5:11 am     ...

Hi Bill,

I bought the 12" model with the G-Major at the Dallas show and I love it. JD and I were messing with these amps and the 12" seemed to be the one when compared next to the 15" Most people in the room felt the same way.

Just my 2 Cents.

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 11:08 am    

Who is this JD guy?......😀 Only kidding. That is a huge endorsement. There are a lot of monster players liking the 12's these days. The only problem is I will sound like me (☹️)with either one.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 11:10 am    

Bill Lowe wrote:
Who is this JD guy?......😀 Only kidding. That is a huge endorsement. There are a lot of monster players liking the 12's these days. The only problem is I will sound like me (☹️)with either one.

JD Maness

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 11:13 am    

Was only kidding. I'm a big fan. And he still plays a P/P. One of my favotite players.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 11:18 am    

Bill Lowe wrote:
Was only kidding. I'm a big fan. And he still plays a P/P. One of my favotite players.

And a great guy to boot

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2017 6:18 pm    

I tried them at the Dallas show as well, and I chose the 15". The 12" sounded great as well.

Dave took his time going over the amp with me, and explained all the features, which was very helpful.

The owners manual is excellent, in case you dont get the one on one with Dave.

I have the lexicon. I love it. They offer a remote for the Lex as well, which Ill get at some point.