The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans repair
Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 8:51 pm    

After 30 years of fantastic service I believe my Evans FET-500 built by Darrell is in need of service.

Who do you recommend I send it to?

Thanks, - DJ -

Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 7:07 am    

Found this post: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=310062&highlight=

I'll try to reach Derrell

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 10:38 am    

This very thing has been bugging me for years. I also have an Evans FET-500 and love it--it's working perfectly--cross my fingers on that! If Derrell is still repairing these amps--that's fine--but, you got to ship it. The point I'd like to make is, here, in my area, we have a electronics repair man that claims he can fix any brand of amp. A while back he repaired a Session 400 for me just fine. I've seen this before, that there seems to be a perception that whatever the brand, it must go to the maker, to be properly fixed. And, I know, there may be some sort of uniqueness attributed to the design of certain amps that only the builder would understand. Just my thought on it.

Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 10:50 am    

Good point. In my case I happen to have the schematic for this vintage Evans. I imagine a local tech could do just fine. I, however, am fine with paying the expense to ship it to the man who built it especially since it's lasted me 30 years and moreover since Derrell knows these amps literally like the back of his hand.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 11:02 am    

Yes, I guess my way of looking at it is purely convenience. If I have to, I'll ship my Peavey amps to Peavey, and my Evans amp to Derrell for repair. Also, some people may not have a local reknowned repair man, such as the one here.

William Morgan III

Hephzibah,GA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 11:33 am    

I just want to second the post by Doug Jones. Whom better to repair the amp than the man who made it! I shorted my FET 500 output transistors to ground and killed it by trying to clean and replace the dielectric grease. (lesson learned: if it ain't broke, leave it the heck alone)! I sent my amp to Darrell and had it back within a week, repaired and an update to the pwr supply. Good or better than new. Point being, while I'm sure that there are other qualified local techs, I was willing to pay shipping both ways for the peace of mind of knowing it was repaired and adjusted by the expert, the maker. Good fast service and a very reasonable repair charge.

Graham Bland

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 3:31 pm     Evans repair

Doug, Derrell is honest, and knows every inch of the Evans FET 500. He designed it! Send it to him, you'll glad you did!!!

billy tam

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 10:05 am     Evans repair

I have owned and played Evans amps since 1976, and when I had any issues I sent them Jim or Derrell. A couple of years I bought a non working Hybrid 300, sent it to Derrell and the amp came back as new. You will probably have to pull the chassis but no real problem and that will save on shipping.. You will be happy with the results.
Billy