The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guitar knee lever ?
Clinton Zimmerman

Memphis,Mo
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 5:51 pm    

My guitar is a Mullen rp in emmons setup but there is no way to lower or raise the 7th string to get a maj 7th is lowering the seventh string important?My guitar is a 3×4 would there be any advantage to adding a vertical lever and a 4th pedal? Thanks Clint

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 7:45 pm    

I'm not understanding your question. Lowering the 7th string a half tone on the E9 tuning doe NOT give you a major seventh in either the no pedals position or the pedals down position.

Raising the seventh string a half tone gives you a G, which is the dominant seventh scale tone in the pedals down position. I have this raise on my steel and I use it a fair amount, but it's by no means an essential change.

A major seventh and a dominant seventh are two very different things.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 3:55 am    

I don't know what you're aiming for in lowering the 7th, but I can't think of how that gets you a maj7.
If you mean a dom7 (that's a major chord with a flatted 7), you have those all over the place. At the nut you have: C#7 (F lever, 2 and 9 dropped to C#, although most of the time I don't think it important to play the root of the dom7 chord); B7 (Es lowered, B pedal); if you have a whole tone drop of 6, A7 (A+B pedals, plus drop of 6); E7; and, if you half-pedal the A pedal, D7 (B pedal and half of the A pedal).

There are fewer, but still several, Maj7 chords on the neck.

By all means add a fourth pedal or 5th knee, if it floats your boat.

Clinton Zimmerman

Memphis,Mo
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 6:14 am    

Sorry guys I meant a domanant 7th Mickey Adams used the g lever to create a domanant 7th in his tutorial of amazing grace. Thanks

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 6:24 am    

Ahh. If you have a whole tone drop of 6, you can split it with the B pedal (which you can get to either from above by hitting the B pedal first, or below by hitting the knee lever first).
If you don't have a whole tone drop of 6, you can pull 7 behind the bar with your ring finger.

Clinton Zimmerman

Memphis,Mo
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 9:49 am    

Thanks Lane and Paul I think this answers my question.

Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 10:10 am     G Lever

You can get the same chord 2 frets back by lowering the E's with a lever, D lever, and pressing the 2nd pedal, B pedal. Raising the 7th string F# to G with the pedals down raises the 6th to the dominate 7, A6th to A7th open tuning. Lowering the E's turns E9th, really in this case E add 9, to B6th. The B pedal raises the G#, 6th, to A, dominate 7. Moving 2 fret back makes B6th into A6th. The A6th and B6th are the open position chords, no bar, so in this case you can't move 2 fret to the left. You need to be at least 2 frets above the open position to get the right chord. Also one more point: it's hard to slide the bar using the F to G lever, G lever, because your aren't using the standard E9th picking groups, String 345, 456, 568, and 6810.
Henry