The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Webb 540 Bass Head
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 8:42 pm    

Well it took me nearly 12 years to finally get one of these amps and it's only the third one I've seen listed in all that time. I received this one yesterday and tried it out tonight using a Zoom CDR-70 for effects and I must say I'm really impressed with the tone. I'm not sure what year it was built but I will open it up in the near future and see what's inside. Maybe a date is on the chassis. The EQ has treble, bass, and "filter" rather than mid for some reason but it does function as a mid control. Toggles are boost and sensitivity. Pretty neat stuff here.

I wrote Tom Bradshaw to see if he can shed any info on these units. I do remember reading from Jimmy Webb's site years ago that all of the preamps were the same but different models had added circuitry like the GP, 614-E, etc. Pretty rare if as of 2005 even Brad Sarno wasn't aware of this particular model as we all know Brad is one of the absolute best! The back has a power switch, 2 speaker outs, a line out, and an AC plug. I've also added the link from the old forum where I posted about the first one I was supposed to get but the seller wasn't very cooperative and I didn't receive the amp because we had a direct hit by Hurricane Rita.
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/007733.html

Last edited by David Higginbotham on 27 May 2017 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 9:08 pm    

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 6:38 am    

I was interested in it as well when I saw it on eBay. Webb stuff, nice find.